1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mod suggestions for push/pull pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Mr. Shred, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Howdy there fellas!

I've been thinking about replacing my standard volume pot with a push/pull pot but I've run out of ideas of what to do with it.

These are the mods I've already got in my Tele (well 3. and 4. aren't quite finished yet), so there's no point in suggesting any of these:
    1. Out-of-phase
    2. Blower
    3. Arlo cocked wah
    4. Pickups in series (big thanks to Phostenix on 3. and 4.)
    5. Killswitch

Both of my pickups are singe coil so there's no need for coil-splitting.
    I'm always looking for ways to expand my Telecaster's sonic qualities, so feel free to suggest any push/pull mods you can think of.

Thanks in advance,
    Mr. Shred

2. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

How are you doing 1,2 & 5 now?

3. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

1. & 2. are separate mini switches located between the volume and tone pots and 5. is the Shadow Kill Pot. The mini switches are connected to the pickup selector switch by jumper cables just the way the pickups would be. So when the switches aren't being used, the pickups just run through the DPDT switches into the pickup selector.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

I'm only coming up with 2 ideas of the top of my head.

1. Wire it to change the tone cap (different value or type)
    2. Wire it to put something like a .001uF cap in series with the Neck pickup. That will will you a thinner sound from the Neck pup in its "normal" connections & the Half Out of Phase connection when you reverse phase the Neck pup in the middle position (both pups in parallel). I really like the HOoP tone. Are you reversing phase on the Neck pup now?

5. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Number 2 is a great idea. I love the half out of phase tone. I use a 0.01 uf cap. The bass/mid cut when on the neck pickup alone can be handy, especially if you have a fat sounding pickup.

6. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Yes, my switch is reversing the neck pickup's (DiMarzio Twang King) phase.

I might just try that (Phostenix's suggestion #2) out if nothing more useful or intriqueing comes up. If I decide to go with that I'll probably be needing some wiring diagrams, since my electronics skills limit to only following instructions.

In the meanwhile I'm still open for any suggestions...

7. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

C'mon guys! Only two suggestions so far (the Half-out-of-phase is a good one though). Can it really be that there are no more tonal mods for my Telecaster?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I think you've nearly done it all!

Maybe you should get a Q-Filter from Bill Lawrence.

9. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

My favorite use of a push pull in one on my guitars is as a disconnect on the tone pot that also makes the tone pot become a blend for the middle pickup. Basically, it moves the tone pot from being connected to the capacitor to being connected to the output of the middle pickup. As you turn the knob back, it adds in output from the middle pickup which is a great effect with a lot of usable tones. If you don't want to add the middle pickup (Nashville configuration), you could still make it blend in the neck pickup. I use the tone pot as the push pull though...

10. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Okay, thanks guys! I think I'll go for the HOoP mod after all. Since my Tele is a two pickup guitar the blender pot wouldn't probably reach its full potential with my setup. Now I'll just have to wait for the parts to arrive, so I can get modding again.

11. RandomUserName

RandomUserName Former Member

Active electronics?!?

12. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I had "half out of phase" in one of my guitars for a while...definitely worth trying.

13. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

I hooked up a two pickup guitar with serial or parallel wiring between the two on the push-pull pot, definitely a different feel.

14. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

I'm not sure if this is what Blower means, but a vol/tone bypass is the best mod I've ever done. (That and series/parallel)

15. avagadro

avagadro Tele-Meister

I've tried pickups in series and it worked good on one guitar not so good on another. I think it depends on how much "hair" the pickups already have, if the pickups are pretty hot they get kind of muddy in series, at least that's how I hear it. How about a Lawrence Q filter? I've been thinking of going the push/pull routine with one of them, around $30 dollars plus shipping.

16. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Yes craigoslo, Blower switch connects the bridge pickup straight to the input jack bypassing the rest of the guitar's electronics.

I did look into the Q Filter and I might have bought one if the shipping costs to Finland weren't so ridiculous. I haven't found any Q Filter dealers in the EU, so I think I'll have to pass that one unless someone points me in the right direction.

17. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Quess I'll go for the HOoP mod after all. Thanks for your suggestions guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.