1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mod question: 2-prong to 3-prong on a Gibson GA-5T

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jodah, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jodah

Jodah TDPRI Member

Hey all!

I recently acquired a stock Gibson "Skylark" GA-5T amp that still had the original 2-prong plug in it. Being terrified to plug the amp in at all with the current state of the power grid where I live, I decided to apply my somewhat amateur skills at electronics repair to replace it with a 3-prong power cord recently liberated from an old Epiphone amp. I successfully removed the old cord, hooked the hot lead from the 3-prong up to the fuse, wired the neutral lead to the switch and attached the ground wire to a large central ground lug's grommet. I plugged in, turned on and voila, there was my amp, singing good as I'd ever imagined.

Before I start really jamming out on her though, I wanted to make sure with people far wiser than I in all things amp-related: have I done the swap correctly? I read up on quite a few methods before attempting it, many of which mentioned wiring into the pilot light or removing ground capacitors/leads or all other manner of modification to the simple procedure I performed. Regardless of it working, I don't want to have severely decreased the life of the tubes or caps by forgetting to remove something important or by not wiring in the correct pattern.

Can anyone check my work there? I'd hate to lose my first vintage amp to an "oops" moment! :)

Thanks in advance!

2. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Sounds good...

If there is still a ground cap a.k.a."death cap" in the amp --usually goes from the fuse holder or perhaps the power switch to ground, be sure to remove that!

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's how I prefer to wire in a 3-way power cord. The green ground goes to ground. The white goes directly to one of the primary leads to the power transformer. The black goes through the fuse to the switch and thereby to the other primary lead. All 'death caps' are removed from the circuit.
    All of this should not be attempted unless proper safety precautions have been taken...drain those electrolytics of all voltage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.