Mod Garage: Three Ways to Wire a Tone Pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by warrent, Aug 3, 2019.

1. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

I just spent a few hours standing on my head and reading from a mirror to wire my Squier Affinity Tele for a 4-way select switch. I used all the mentioned sites as sources for how to accomplish this (seemingly) simple task. 3 hours later.....

oyobass and NilsZippo like this.
  2. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

In my defense (if there is any) at the same time I also flipped the control plate placing the 4 way switch at the rear position and the volume pot up front with the tone pot sandwiched in between. Reminds me of working on a Republic Seabee aircraft propeller..everything is upside down and backwards...

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

T Rex the author’s diagram is just a simplified illustration of the larger diagram. The hot wire coming from the switch is signal input. Hot wire to output jack is signal output. Ground wires are omitted for clarity.

You guys who get confused by wiring diagrams should spend some time understanding them. For example, take a continuity tester and see which lugs are in contact in different switch positions on a 3 or 5 way switch. Measure resistance across pot lugs as you turn the knob. Once you do this and focus on hot side of circuit to follow the signal path then you can not only understand wiring diagrams but you can also invent your own.

4. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I’m a big fan of 50’s wiring and recommend it for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Has anyone used Dirk’s “60’s wiring”? Is it any different tonally from the “regular” wiring? Thanks for any feedback!

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Take Solace in that at least the wiring diagram for the Tele is dirt simple.

Taking a circuit from schematic -> breadboard -> circuit board is way worse.

I think this PG article is so bad cause he doesn't use the standard symbol for a Pot and he doesn't even draw the Pot the same way in each diagram so it becomes harder to tell when he's talking about connecting to the wiper vs one side.

I read it and it and it started making me wonder if I actually have mine setup for 50s wiring. Then I look at better diagrams and it's very clear I used modern wiring.

This one is pretty good from Lollar. I wish they had included this in the insert with their pickups. This looks like it is the dark circuit though and not the "50s wiring" mentioned elsewhere?

[​IMG]

This is the one they actually include with the pickups, it's modern wiring but it's a lot harder to read:

https://www.lollarguitars.com/pickup-wiring-diagrams/TelecasterWiringDiagram.pdf

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  6. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I rewired my Telecaster 60's style last weekend, and there was a perceptible reduction in noise.

As part of my experimentin' I also tried Fez Parka wiring ( this is the second time ) and removed it after a few minutes of noodling and listening. Even with the tone pot wide-open it was like having a treble-bleed in there and always on - I didn't like it for the same reason I don't dig treble-bleed wiring - I think it neuters the mids.

I ended up with the "60's wiring" from the article diagram, using two 250k potentiometers and a .015uf capacitor. It sounds really good to me, and the usable sweep on the tone pot is huge and it's easy to find a sweet spot. My pickups are both less than 7K resistence.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

With all respect it is not a simplified illustration of the full wiring diagram. I get where the signal is coming from and going, and I get that the ground wires are omitted. My question has to do with the very different orientation of the cap wire paths, the grounded (to the case) tone pot lug in Dirk's diagram which is replaced by the yellow wire joining the two opposite lugs of the tone and volume pots in the full diagram, etc. Here are the differences I was asking about. It's not a "simplified diagram", it's different paths for the wires and grounded parts.
    Dirk.png.jpg
    They are quite different and what I had asked was for perhaps an explanation of why they do (or do they?) create the exact same effect. I appreciate the intent of your answer but it is really a bit like the swimming instruction technique of simply throwing one's student into the deep end of the pool and hoping for the best.;)

One of those "guys who gets confused by wiring diagrams" I suppose, though I've executed and awful lot of them.
    Cheers,
    Rex

8. chris m.

In both cases the cap/tone are shunting highs to ground from the hot side of the vol pot. It doesn’t matter where the ground is.

9. Null99

Null99 TDPRI Member

I believe that this is Dan Erlewine’s old shop.?.?

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Thanks very much. Are there any advantages to wiring it either of the two ways shown in the diagram I posted? Does either option have an effect on a treble bleed's functionality across the first two lugs of the volume pot?

Thanks again,
    Rex

11. chris m.

Should be identical.

12. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

@warrent also answered your question succinctly and precisely earlier, but you seemed to pass it by: ;)

But I'll repeat it as well. In both diagrams the tone circuit shunts the signal is shunted to ground through a cap and a variable resistor in series - follow the path to ground to see this. It's just that in the two cases the order of the variable resistor and cap are switched - which has no impact in a series circuit. As I'm sure you are aware, the ground in the the OP's diagrams are implied through case grounding to the control plate or through wires not shown.

It should not make any difference as any current that flows (to alter the signal) has to flow in a circuit and it will experience the same elements - including current induced by EMI. But in your new diagram, if you're adding the dotted wires, then you need to remove the solid black from the signal lug on the volume pot to the cap (which you've labeled "different"). It has to be gone, or you've shorted your signal to ground. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Good stuff. Try different caps as well, different schemes. Time is on your side, yes it is.

14. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the highlighted/circled ground wire here? Aren't the two pots already grounded together by the control plate?

upload_2019-8-16_9-39-51.png

15. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

I find this book helpful

F484D92C-9984-44F5-BA47-7C662C5E2563.jpeg

16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's a redundant ground connection in case the pots become loose.

yes

logans_tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.