1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mod 102 Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by linux, Nov 24, 2018.

1. linux

linux TDPRI Member

I've started my first build using the Mod 102+ from Amplified Parts. It's a simple 5 watt amp using a single EL-84 for the output. Here's the schematic:

There is a switch called 'Turbo' which cuts in a cap and drives the 2nd preamp stage harder, ups it to 8W total.
    One of the nits with this chassis is that it's painted inside and out. To get good grounding on the nodes where you need it you have to grind off some of the paint. I also used the so-called internal tooth lockwashers to dig into the metal and assure good contact.

The labels are the other nit because they're paper-thin and hard to cut and apply.

zippofan, dr_tom and sds1 like this.
  2. linux

linux TDPRI Member

So far it's going well. I realized that it's been a long time since I've done any fine soldering and it's a bit sloppy so far. Also, this kit uses 6 terminal strips that are fastened in various locations of the chassis. Makes it better than true point to point I guess but my next project will have an eyelet or turret board for sure.

dr_tom and sds1 like this.
  3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Turbo button on all the things!!

4. linux

linux TDPRI Member

Yeah, maybe a bit hokey, but that was the deal with the 'plus' version The basic version of the kit is pretty reasonable at $215 complete. The 'turbo' version has 3 push/pull pots that all do a similar boost for power, bright and mid and cost $265.

5. linux

linux TDPRI Member

I have a process question re: posting images. Near as I could figure out, to upload an image you have to do it by creating a gallery, otherwise you have to provide a URL. But when I included the gallery code to embed the image, it has tabs on the top and is not full size like I see on other posts.

How exactly is that done?

6. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

Good question.

7. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

I just click upload file and it does it’s thing. I don’t ever recall having to create a gallery.

King Fan likes this.
  8. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

I am able to drag and drop my pictures into the message post. It then allows you to select thumbnail or full size. Of course, that's on my desktop computer, not on my phone.

King Fan likes this.
  9. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Both Outlaws' and Junior Little's methods are great. The Gallery method is harder and less useful. And AFAIK gallery shots may not show up on the mobile platform.

10. linux

linux TDPRI Member

OK, this is uploading a file:

20181101_171040.jpg

Hmmm, don't know why this didn't work for me earlier; cockpit error. Thanks for the input Outlaws.

Now, back to the soldering. I'm close, waiting on a 5W 270 ohm resistor to solder in parallel with the output transformer. I created a separate thread but will do this to protect the OT and output tube in case of power on without the speaker connected.

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I just did a little modding of my MOD 102+, heh. I never liked the way they had the heater wire layed out, so I redid the heaters with more easy to manage modern heater wire. I also connected the volume control via a short length of RG-174, and tightened up every chassis ground. The little bit of hum I had disappeared, and I swear it sounds better though that could be in my head.

The tone is sweet and chimey with NOS tubes (RCA 6BQ5, Conn/Sylvania 12AX7) through a 1x12" Weber Signature ceramic in my Super Champ extension cab.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  12. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

@linux

Not sure of your confidence level here but if you are looking for future mods down the line, the absolute best sounding SE EL-84 amp I've made was by using a 6EU7 in the pre-amp position. Requires different heater scheme but still a 100mu twin triode.

Those tubes are more expensive but I really liked the sound when I swapped it. I happened to stumble onto a couple of them used in good condition so I thought I'd try them. Glad I did. I will try to stick with those for EL-84's now.

a

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.