Mocrotonal Bach experiment

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Very interesting and thanks for this comparison,

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

That was cool to hear! I liked the first two best, but they all had their good points.

Paying a fretless instrument has really made more sensitive to--and frustrated by--the fretted guitar. I've also started playing Irish music in the flute, and being "out of tune" on some notes is part of the characteristic sound. In traditional irish folk music, there aren't any harmony instruments, so you don't hear the clashing so clearly

3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

The first and fourth sounded best to me. The just intonation sounded worst to me. Very interesting!

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

It's hilarious watching the video with the quote about tuning directly underneath the entire time.

The first one was most noticeable. The others were all fine, but tuning 1 sounded 'brighter' and more pleasing for lack of a better word.

Where does one even find a fretboard like that?

5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting! I picked 1 and 3. I thought 3 sounded the best of all...must be that my ears prefer modern fretting.

6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Cool.

Overall I preferred #3 (equal) the best but I'm sure it's just what I'm used to.
    I did really like #4 in some spots better though. I tend to push sharp my minor 3rds and I noticed that in the fourth tuning they are adjusted less flat from both 'just' and 'equal'.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Version #3 sounded most "at home" for me; next was #2 - with both #1 and #4 I experienced moments of queasiness, where some of the overtones just didn't sound "right" to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.