1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mockingbird buil

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by johannpotgieter, Aug 19, 2012.

1. johannpotgieter

johannpotgieter TDPRI Member

Ok so i have been reading threads on here to help with my build and ideas...i have come to a halt now waiting on my neck so i can finish the sanding and cutting of the body(got plans for it but my guitar doesn't quit fit the plans so I'm waiting on the neck before i do that part). Now i struggling with how i am going to do the binding?i am going to put a burl maple veneer over and black binding(and black tuners floyd rose bridge, black pickups and black tuning heads).

Ok so now my question...how well can one carve binding by hand(if you have never done it before)/what is the best/easiest way of doing it

(my guitar is made with the bare minimum tools, router that i bought after the fact, jig saw, drill with a bit that i taped sanding paper too, to sand the tight bend and my hand with sanding paper)

Heres a photo just to show where i am at

Attached Files:

2. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

At this point, it looks to me like painted on binding might be the way to go.

3. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

I would do it Ala' Paul Reed Smith. To do binding you need a flat top witth no contours.

4. johannpotgieter

johannpotgieter TDPRI Member

So its impossible to bind my guitar???how does the paint on binding work??i have read that with veneers you have to use binding to cover up the edges...

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.