Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mo62987, Mar 17, 2020.
I think you'll be fine there.
I think it still needs to go further. That's one area I always have issues with, I'm too timid. On one challenge build I had to go back and "relieve" that area to keep the strings from hitting. Coincidently that's th enext step in my build and I"m kinda dreading it cuz I find it nervewracking for some reason! But this time I didn't leave much extra on the fingerboard so I HAVE to get up close and personal with the radius!
haha yeah I’m a little timid after my first scratch build. I went too deep into the headstock and ended up with a pretty thin head
Workin on dots today.
Well I just finished that area on my neck and - SURPRISE- I screwed it up. Not enough that it matters, but lesson learned. I should have left more at the end of the fingerboard and I had to use a smaller radius that I would have liked. It should work fine, but isn't what I planned.
Yours will work fine too. On one of mine I just went back and took more off the edge of the fingerboard to get string clearance. No big deal, just not a clean curve anymore. Barely noticable and then only to people who have done it themselves!
Side dots and frets
And some spirits to clean up and get a sneak peek
Primary facets. Carving will commence tomorrow hopefully
That’s how I did it on my first neck. I had initially thinned the hs down too much, so added some veneer pieces, then went too deep trying to do the transition, so had to use a little filler, then another very thin veneer to tidy it up. It hasn’t all come out too bad considering, but I need to look at a better way to do it overall.
haha. Yeah I took a better approach this this time. I left the head about 1/8” proud. Then worked on the transition. As the curve ate into the thickness I would use the extra thickness on top to sand everything flat
my previous build wasn’t too terribly thin, but it was a supa fat neck so it looked worse than it really was
She's a pretty fret board
I have LMII to thank for that. My second FB from them and they are top notch
I actually measure and use the primary facet to get the bulk of the meat gone.
Then the rest by feel.
Great work! Thanks for sharing it!
Thanks! I’m having a lot of fun doing it
The sacrifice. My 2000 Mexican Strat. Thank you sir for your years of service
Parts harvested and fit into the new body.
Minor flub here. Really probably should have test fit parts into the template before I routed. Oh well. Any suggestions on a decent fix??
It’s hard to picture but my overstand is a bit too high.
It’s not terrible but I don’t think the saddles have enough travel left to make up for it.
Neck pocket is dead on at 5/8” and the heel to edge of fret board is 1”.
Do I take some off the neck heel or route the pocket a smidge deeper??
This’ll probably be just fine. It’s really just a cosmetic fix anyway. And the the bulk of it will never be seen
Your trem could be flatter on the body...there's a gap in the photo. I'd check for debris in the neck cavity. 5/8 and 1" are the specs you want. Unless the rout is tilted or the neck heel is not parallel to the fretboard, those parts should work. Also the strings will be raised up at the nut a bit too.
Bingo! I double checked the pocket. Turns out it wasn’t quite deep enough on the body side. Guess my template gave on me some as I was routing the pocket. Popped the template back on and supported the piece the hangs over the horns better. Shaved off a mil or two. Should be good to go now!