Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '2013 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by mmoncur, Jul 20, 2013.
I vote for blatant yardstickery.
I have slept on this build up to now. I am wide awake now. Very Cool build!
I would definitely go with the blatant yardstick (#2) for the controll cover and keep the streamline look everywhere else.
OK, it's decided -- I'll go with the yardstick-style cover. Thanks everyone!
(I feel silly going to so much trouble to make a perfectly matching almost invisible cover when the easy way ends up looking better...)
Lots of progress on the guitar this weekend. More pics coming.
For starters, here's the "non-F" hole in progress:
I drilled it out with various sized bits, shaped it pretty close to final with the ROSS spindle sander, then finished with a Dremel cutter bit to give it a "routed" edge.
In the picture I'm using a yardstick as a straightedge template.
I neglected to take a picture of the finished hole, but it will be in the next post...
Routed some wiring channels with the Dremel.
Glued the top to the body!
I used the template as a clamping caul here. This was actually a bad idea, some areas weren't clamping tight because the top wasn't allowed to flex. After half an hour or so I re-clamped without the template.
I love this build. I love ingenuity when it comes to using materials otherwise overlooked for guitar building. My first acoustic used a five piece top from a redwood post left over when I built my deck. This build proves that you don't have to spend a fortune on wood, and I'll bet it turns out playing and sounding great.
Here's the guitar after gluing on the top...
And after shaping a bit on the ROSS...
Rounded the edges to 1/4" using the router. This was my first time using a roundover bit but it was easy. The body will need a bit of sanding but it's looking good!
Thanks! I have a few body blanks I paid $40 to $100 for, and I'm sure they'll make great guitars someday, but using $20 worth of yardsticks has really been great practice and I don't have to worry that I'll ruin a precious piece of hardwood.
Looks great. I'm loving this build - one of my favourites. Looking foward to seeing the finish on this body.
Super cool build. It's looking really great.
This guitar is so freakin' awesome.
gotta admit, when I come to check out the contest, I look for updates on this build first.
When I first saw this build (I usually start at the last page, then go to the beginning to see how we got there), I thought I was looking at somebody who had done what I did with Baltic Birch plywood.
The inlay and fingerboard were purpleheart. As a guitar, it made a pretty good wallhanging. (It was given away in a raffle at a T bucket national meeting.)
Thanks everyone for the show of support! It's great to read after spending a few days sick and not working on this thing. Anyway, back to work...
Drilled the neck pocket.
Routed the neck pocket.
Checked the alignment of the neck pocket with a borrowed neck. It looks good!
Looking great! It's almost like you've done this before .
Measuring stuff on a yardtick Tele with a.... Yardstick!
It's like robots building robots!
like how this is going was a bit sceptical at the start but nice very nice