1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

mmoncur's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by mmoncur, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Thanks... My fingers are crossed too!

Frets are installed. I'm going to replace a couple of iffy ones and try to level the whole thing.

IMG_0420.jpg

At this point I'm confident i'll have a guitar-like object finished by the deadline, it just might not look great or sound great... :)

2. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

OK, let's finish this thing!

(Actually I spent all night working on it, the next few posts are catching up with what I've done...)

Marked and leveled the frets. I also filed the edges and put a bevel on them, although this is going to be a crudely finished neck if I'm going to get it done.

IMG_0422.jpg

Marked the neck based on this post - thanks guitarbuilder, I don't know what I would have done without it!

IMG_0425.jpg

Started creating facets with the ROSS.

IMG_0428.jpg

...and lots more facets, then some more sanding, then some hand sanding. i ended up with this...

IMG_0438.jpg

Looks and feels decent! I'm very happy with the way my first neck turned out. It's a "fat" neck because I wanted the simplest possible carve.

3. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Finishing the body...

Drilled neck holes. I forgot to order a neck plate, so I borrowed one from my unfinished partscaster. That's why it's black instead of chrome...

IMG_0439.jpg

And installed the electronics and hardware. I also soldered everything together, but forgot to take a picture.

IMG_0443.jpg

Most of these parts were an ebay purchase of parts from a Squier Affinity Tele. This was a random stroke of luck because my guitar body is 1.4" thick and the Affinity happens to use a low-profile 3-way switch that fits into my shallow control cavity.

Check out the transparent pick guard! I wanted one but I didn't want to cover up the cool "bamboo" pattern.

4. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

I put a coat of Tru-oil on the neck, waited for it to dry, and installed the tuners. I forgot to order tuners, but luckily I had these lying around -- they came with my very first Strat.

IMG_0445.jpg

Man, those are close together! I'm not sure what happened there. You can also see that I was in a huge hurry when I drilled the tuner holes. :)

IMG_0446.jpg

5. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Finished!

(Sorry for the clumsy playing in this video, I've been up 24 hours straight and I'm not used to fat necks...)

[​IMG]

This neck is far from perfect, I'll probably make a new one. But for now it's finished, it's playable, and it sounds OK! I'm absolutely amazed, I made a neck from scratch and it's better set-up than half the new guitars I've purchased...

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and for your inspiring build threads. See you on the other side!

Mike

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  6. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Well done Mike, that was a marathon effort.

It looks and sounds great! :D

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

You made it! :D Good job. It's definitely a unique looking guitar with tons of character.

8. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Oh, almost forgot! I think I would have been disqualified if I didn't post one of these.

IMG_0451.jpg

Enjoying a much-needed snack followed by a long sleep...

9. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Great job, way to come through in the end!

10. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Here's a bigger picture for the official pic, or just to look at...

[​IMG]

11. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Well done Michael! Who needs sleep?

Rob

12. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Well, I had a small problem with getting the guitar to intonate. You can actually see the problem in the picture above - the neck is about 1/8" too close to the body at the heel, leaving no room to get a wrench in there to adjust the truss rod.

I added a small extension to the neck heel to move the neck a bit further away. I could have also moved the bridge, but it looked like the neck was the main problem and I don't want unsightly holes in the body.

It tunes up perfectly now!

Total weight of guitar 6 pounds 9 ounces. It's nice to hold and play! Still not sure about that fat neck but making a thin one out of yardsticks in 5 days would have been hard...

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

That turned out really well, I like the yard-butcher-stick-block look of the top :D

14. Owl-man

Owl-man TDPRI Member

I bet they looked at you funny when you bought 40 yardsticks at Lowes! I like the bamboo look of the finished guitar. I just may try this!

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, it's one of those purchases where they look you up and down with the little smirk.....

16. PMF1954

PMF1954 Tele-Meister

Very cool. It really looks like it was made from miniature bowling alley wood.

17. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

There was definitely some smirking when I bought 40 yardsticks at Lowe's... Even worse, I was between paychecks and paid with a big wad of ones and some change.

PMF, I never thought of that but it does remind me of a bowling alley. Now I like it even more...

18. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Really nice job mmoncur! Congrats on a fine build. :D
    I'm curious what type of wood those yard sticks were , some of them look like they have a tiger grain to them.

19. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

I was guessing that they were pine of some sort based on the smell and feel. They're really soft wood, probably too soft for the fretboard so it might wear out fast. It's pretty easy to scratch with a fingernail or a slipped screwdriver :) and very lightweight.

A few of them do have some interesting grain... I tried to choose some of the most extreme colored/grained ones so the laminated pattern would be really visible.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

20. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

I really like this one!
    Great job with the yard sticks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.