MLB Shortened Schedule or Another Strike?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stealyerface, May 26, 2020.

1. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

This is non political, so if the usual suspects could refrain from locking this discussion, I would like to hear opinions.

Short and Sweet.

With the world on unemployment, jobs lost, some jobs never coming back and the total sh** show that the world has become, the last thing I want to hear, is a millionaire/billionaire baseball player complaining about possibly having to take a pro-rated pay cut, based on the shortened schedule.

I have zero sympathy for a guy making 9.5 million dollars a year, having to pitch once every five days, for $4 million.

I get there will be no fans, and I get that the concession sales that make up a huge part on the ballparks' incomes, which in turn pays those employees.

I feel it is pretty egregious for a player to refuse to play for less than his contract states, while a guy who made $9 an hour- plus tips selling pretzels with a heated food bag on his back all game long, has no job and no income.

I will say this now, if the MLBPA decides to lock themselves out, they'll have slit their own throat for the last time. It took folks a long time to get over the last one, this one would be reprehensible.

Thoughts?
    ~syf

Jim W and Texicaster like this.
  2. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The last strike was in 94, the Indians went on to the WS in 95 and 97 and their fans sold out the stadium for something like 440 consecutive games. People will forgive and forget, providing you have a contending team. Basement teams, on the other hand, may not have many fans left.

Rufus and naveed211 like this.
  3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

While Baseball is by no means “essential”, I know a lot of us could use the entertainment/distraction. If the players were talking safety I could lean their way, but most of their talk is money so I can’t. And yes, it could really hurt baseball in the long term if they were to strike.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

At first I really wanted a chance to root against someone this season but I’ll survive. The longer we go without baseball the less I miss it.

Muinarc likes this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Don’t really care for baseball until about September if the Brewers are still in the hunt at that point. Then I’ll start watching (more of an NBA fan, and yes I know many don’t care about that league).

Point being, the timing of this, I’m not sure how you can have a season going for baseball right now. For basketball, they’re proposing some lame tournament style end to the season, and who knows what the start of next season will look like if this whole thing isn’t more figured out by then.

I just don’t know how you can feasibly play that many games with that many players with all the uncertainty. Even if you play to empty stadiums, that’s a lot of travel and a lot of constant testing.

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Meh - don't need to see the Cubs finish third again...

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

IMO, there's a lot of over-payed people, these daze.

Baseball players, too.

Personally, I miss the "boys of summer."

But, I've always been a big baseball fan.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I agree with everything you said but think you need to add something to make it fair-minded:

While it would be terrible to lose baseball because the players to refuse to play at a lower rate in such times, it would be equally wrong for the owners to take advantage of the uncertainty and use the pressures of the situation to force long-term concessions from the players. If the reports that leaked out about the initial discussions were mostly accurate, the owners sure look like they're trying to force a salary cap in through the back door. That's not right either. In contract law any concessions a party makes in an agreement like this can be deemed relevant in future negotiations/settlements. So the players aren't wrong to fight that. They'd be stupid not to.

You'd think with this much money at stake and times we're living in they'd both be willing to say, "Ok, we'll pro-rate everything on the basis of revenue for this year, but agree that we are setting no precidents for future negotiation." IMO, that's fair, and it's what they should be doing.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Rufus and stealyerface like this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

It is a tough call. Part of me says, "cancel all the seasons until the next one would normally start.

I think, though, barring a horrendous wave, we'll have baseball by august and a series on time.

I am enjoying the Dodgers getting older and not winning a dang thing.

grayback and Colo Springs E like this.
  10. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

As another Brewers fan, no season would mean our unblemished streak of also-ran seasons will remain intact. I’m pretty okay with skipping the inevitable disappointment for a year.

11. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I am under the impression we're all going to get sent home again, after whichever phase is the straw that breaks the camel's back.T

The sports teams ought to use this time for training and staying in game shape, get the surgeries that were put off, and get back to being healthy for 2021.

The minute they load the stadiums and stands with people, it will begin the undoing.

~syf

12. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

No complaining from Cubs fans for another 100 years.

I’m still waiting to witness championships for my major sports teams in my lifetime.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I wanna watch baseball dang it!

Lots of moving parts to sync up for it to happen.

We don't need a 162 game season to crown a champ. World Baseball Classic is a LOT of fun to watch once you learn the players. I forget the format but could be extended

Strikes are one thing people can get behind as that's a labor dispute but if the players refuse to play now while so many fans have had their lives turned upside down won't play as well I guarantee it! There's guys on the street now who had jobs and you think they're gonna understand a player refusing $5M demanding his $10M? I hope they do it and the owners have the cajones to bust the union once and for all!

When I lived in El Paso I was walking distance to the new ballpark and AA Chihuahuas. It was just as much fun as MLB! Fire the players and promote AA and AAA as most MLB players are gone in 7 years max anyways or skip for FA even quicker.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like the delay. Perhaps the fans will forget about the Astros. Seriously wait a year. They will not be playing at their peak and without the fans the game is less interesting. At least for me. Same for football and especially for basketball which is all contact.

NASCAR and Golf will sustain us until next Spring.

Have to admit I'm binging Ken Burns Baseball for the second time in the last two months.

15. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I was just thinking the Astros are DIGGING this break! They were about to be crucified on a daily basis and now I think that will fall by the way side as the players would look ridiculous bringing up yet again after their spring training tirades.

I don't think it will be brought up much as it feels like 2 seasons ago now!

Chip likes this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

here's what I remember from the '94 strike: Mrs Deeve and I went to a number of peewee games and cheered our hearts out.

We didn't know anybody playing, but loved that parents on Both Sides cheered if anybody got a hit, or a catch.

Pure love of game.
    oh, and badly, very badly - prob why everybody was jacked when Any play worked out! :eek::oops::D

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was thinking the Astros, when baseball comes back, should have Lance Armstrong throw out the first ball of the first game. have some fun with it!

18. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

i'll just say that if those pompous, primping ponces never took the field again, it would not affect my life in the least. Major league sports has always been about winning, but now with the cheating, the steroids, the childish antics on and off the field, I wouldn't care if they all wound up in the unemployment line.

Texicaster likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

NASCAR and golf won’t sustain me for any length of time.

But thanks for the reminder on the Ken Burns baseball series. I have it queued up somewhere on my list and I’ve been meaning to watch it.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

There is no way the owners of any MLB, NHL, NFL or NBA team is going to scrap a season. They would lose a ton of $$ and that won't happen.

I saw the other day that the A's defaulted on their payment to the city of Oakland for their rent in April. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.