MLB Part Deux

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Interesting nugget about 100+ win teams.

According to wiki, if that's accurate, there have only been nine seasons of three teams winning 100 games in the same season:

'42
'77
'98
'02
'03
'17
'18
'19 (four teams)
'21

So it was pretty rare through 2016, but now we've had four in the last five years (including four 100+ winners in 2019) and we currently have three this year-- Dodgers sitting at 110, Houston at 104, and Braves at 100. NYY has 97 wins as of today with four to play, the Mets are at 98 with three to play. So one or both of them might make it too.

This stands to reason, doesn't it? The wider the gap between the money and small market teams, the more likely we should expect to see teams put up 100+ wins. It wouldn't surprise me if it's pretty common for the foreseeable future.

Blue Jays get home field in the Wild Card round if the Tigers can hold off the Mariners. They're up 4-2 with little more than 2 innings to play.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
This stands to reason, doesn't it? The wider the gap between the money and small market teams, the more likely we should expect to see teams put up 100+ wins. It wouldn't surprise me if it's pretty common for the foreseeable future.

Blue Jays get home field in the Wild Card round if the Tigers can hold off the Mariners. They're up 4-2 with little more than 2 innings to play.

Baseball is going to have to do something to even out the playing field if it hopes to stay relevant in the future.

The NY Mets topped this years payroll total at $281.5M. By the way the league AVERAGE is just under $163M. So the Mets are paying almost $120M ABOVE the league average!

In retrospect, hats off to the Cleveland Guardians for making the playoffs with a $82M payroll! Can you say MONEYBALL? By the way, they were the only team that looks to make the playoffs with a payroll under the league average.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Baseball is going to have to do something to even out the playing field if it hopes to stay relevant in the future.

The NY Mets topped this years payroll total at $281.5M. By the way the league AVERAGE is just under $163M. So the Mets are paying almost $120M ABOVE the league average!

In retrospect, hats off to the Cleveland Guardians for making the playoffs with a $82M payroll! Can you say MONEYBALL? By the way, they were the only team that looks to make the playoffs with a payroll under the league average.
Ironically, competitive parity was the justification for the current schema of playoffs and divisions; the '93 Braves/Giants pennant race (the last real one, arguably) was the nail in the coffin of the old ways. I think I'm over it now. Maybe.

Guess MLB couldn't have foreseen that some teams are happy to stay in the cellar or near it, because the city's fans will pack a stadium where "fans" are only peripherally aware of the game in progress. Those clubs get roasted by the ones that put in some effort and coin, and the occasional "playoff run" with 87 or so wins rekindles the fire every few years.

Ah well. Hope the Giants are better next year. This is a fun animation (for the Braves fans).

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh, and pretty dang cool from Albert. Storybook.

It has been a magical ride for the Cardinals this year.

They brought Albert back to pay homage to an all time great and allow him to retire a redbird. That he was able to contribute like he has was indeed magical.
And then having the Waino-Yadi battery break the all time record for games played, Albert's chase of Ruth, and a pennant run made this season truly one to remember.

That said, I don't think they have a chance in the postseason but we shall see what happens.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well the Astros helped another into the playoffs. Phillies pitch a shutout and for 6 1/2 innings no-hit them. Hope the Astros bring some offense when the they face the AL wildcard winner between Seattle or Toronto.

1664903443706.png

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I'll be at Game 1 at Dodger Stadium next Monday. Woot-woot!

The bad news is that it's my busiest time of year and it'll come in the heart of the final deadline sprint, and we won't have our regular parking, so we'll be busing it from Union Station. But, other than that, woot-woot.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Dodgers looking pretty fierce this year.

Indeed, but that does not always guarantee post-season success. Neither does being 'hot' at the end, as the Guardians are right now.

I'm taking Friday off-- I have some errands to run, but if there are any day games on, I'll be watching some baseball!

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
If it's Dodgers vs the field, I'll go field. But if I'm forced to pick one team to win it all..... yeah I'll go with LA.
I detest the Dodgers like any good Giants fan, but I gotta call a spade a spade. They are well run as an organization as ever, well managed/led on the field, and stocked to the gills with the game's best talents who actually complement one another. Those factors have combined for many clubs and don't guarantee a title, but the Dodgers are head and shoulders above all clubs in 2022 in my view and haven't really had a down moment all year, hard to find a weakness in their game.

+329 rdiff while holding opponents to a .210 average for the year. Good lord that is dominance and just two gaudy stats among a dozen from them this year. The club deserves a full season title, though it pains my orange and black heart to say it.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Call me fickle, but I have always tended to root for the best team closest to my house. Giants when I was a kid. Indifferent in college, but A's right after. Mariners (don't look) now.

When Mrs. Thought and I married we moved south a while to let the dust settle. We were only down there a few months, but I got to be a Dodger fan during the 1981 World Series Championship season. That was a lot of fun.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I detest the Dodgers like any good Giants fan, but I gotta call a spade a spade. They are well run as an organization as ever, well managed/led on the field, and stocked to the gills with the game's best talents who actually complement one another. Those factors have combined for many clubs and don't guarantee a title, but the Dodgers are head and shoulders above all clubs in 2022 in my view and haven't really had a down moment all year, hard to find a weakness in their game.

+329 rdiff while holding opponents to a .210 average for the year. Good lord that is dominance and just two gaudy stats among a dozen from them this year. The club deserves a full season title, though it pains my orange and black heart to say it.

All true. But, of course, you never know what's going to happen in the post-season. And I say this as Dodgers fan. But I'm capable of really enjoying a long season full of wins and excitement without too much of a letdown if they don't win it all.

With football, post-season losses taint the overall experience for me some reason. They hurt more. But I'm having trouble caring about football in recent years, so it's not a big problem.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
This year hurt, not gonna lie. At least we're in the playoffs. But when you lead the division for 100+ days and lose it in the last week... It hurts.

Hopefully we can build some momentum from the doubleheader sweep and the 7-0 game where our first three batters hit back to back to back homers.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Brewers’ season didn’t quite go like we expected. Close…so very close.

There is still that mid season trade I don’t understand.

I’ll be anxiously awaiting pitchers and catchers reporting

Go Cards!