MLB: How Is Your Team Doing?

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
My sports stand is I cheer for the Texas Longhorns and anybody that plays against ou, Norte Dame, Dallas Cowboys, and the NY Yankees

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a Nats fan, and they are rebuilding so I can deal with the losing for the next couple of years.
Glad Zimm is going out with the right amount of respect, at least in the town/club. Not even a Nats fan and he's a fave for me. Dependable apart from that 14/15 stretch and while he never really put up flashy numbers, he was definitely above average. Reminds me of Mark Grace with a little more ability to take you deep. Good at 3B and above average after they moved him across the diamond too.
That's about a knuckleball grip, ain't it?
Circle change

Giants... still streaky. Webb looked pretty great yesterday.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yeah it aint cheap! But now that I am retired I decided to splurge a bit. After a 45 year career its time to reap the rewards. Love being at the ballpark and you are right minor league ball is great too. I even like to watch a local high school game now and then.

I actually find baseball tickets to be pretty reasonable, at least compared to the other major sports.

Granted, beer, food etc is pricey, but the actual ticket cost isn't that bad to me.

At Coors Field, they have "rockpile" seats in the outfield for $10-$20, and there are usually tickets available (if it's not the Yankees, Dodgers, etc in town).

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Okay, Astros take the series from the Yankees, albeit by only one game, but sweep the Mets. I kind of think National media should be talking about them. Springer gone, Correa gone, Cole gone and they are still top tier. Okay on the 5 year old hate, but they are a good team.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Okay, Astros take the series from the Yankees, albeit by only one game, but sweep the Mets. I kind of think National media should be talking about them. Springer gone, Correa gone, Cole gone and they are still top tier. Okay on the 5 year old hate, but they are a good team.
Yankees fan here. You’ll get no argument from me.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Still at the bottom of the AL East but they're kind of fun this year anyway. I need to get up the Camden Yards soon.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
The newly-named Guardians (the old Cleveland Indians) are doing much better than almost everyone predicted they would at the start of the season.

They are the youngest team in Major League baseball - in fact, they are younger than most of the AAA baseball teams

They also have the lowest team payroll in major league baseball

Primarily made up out of young guys intent on proving themselves worthy of competing with the best talent out there

It's interesting to watch them play and develop - pretty much from game to game

Home runs are pretty rare with this team - they have to rely on decent pitching and finding a way to scratch out runs with base hits, base stealing, and holding their opponents down with good defense - small ball techniques

They are playing the N.Y. Yankers tonight and this weekend - you know, the best team money can buy - the one with the giant payroll and all the veteran talent

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
There's a big debate just starting up whether Giants should be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline... I'm sure this is happening all around the league. With the deadline pushed back a month and the added Wild Cards, it's pretty tough to figure out who will be in and who will cut bait.

I'm thinking Zaidi just looks for good deals that have multi-year value. G's might be buyers and sellers this year, lol.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Angels are in third place. I don’t know why they are now called the LA Angels when they aren't even in LA county, let alone the city of Los Angeles.

Marketing.

I don't believe in karma, but... If I did believe in karma, it would involve some "Final Destination" stuff, not a mere lack of mentions in the media.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I don't know.
I haven't been able to find any broadcasts of games with the Cleveland Indians.

They are doing pretty good :)

It's certainly not like the old days when you could turn on your black and white TV and watch them on channel 3

Or take the bus down-town (for 25 cents) with one of your little buddies, and walk up and buy a bleacher ticket for a buck

You now have to have cable or satellite, or a paid subscription to MLB network

But, they do broadcast the games on 100.7 FM (the old "Buzzard"), and Tom Hamilton still does the play-by-play

I usually listen to the games on the radio while I'm building guitars

The old Cleveland Stadium with it's 80,000+ capacity is long gone, and they no longer have promotional "Beer Nites" at the present stadium either ;)

Did you grow up in Cleveland?

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
The 2nd best part of this story (that I always forget, but am reminded annually) is that the Mets thought they were so clever making this deal because so they could free up player salary funds for Bernie Madoff's can't miss investments, lol.
How did I never know this, chef's kiss to the whole thing. Before I really had a team, I liked him and Barry in Pitt and wasn't even old enough to drink in his heyday and this deal may out live me (I'll be 65 when it expires).

Chip

Friend of Leo's
They are doing pretty good :)

It's certainly not like the old days when you could turn on your black and white TV and watch them on channel 3

Or take the bus down-town (for 25 cents) with one of your little buddies, and walk up and buy a bleacher ticket for a buck

You now have to have cable or satellite, or a paid subscription to MLB network

But, they do broadcast the games on 100.7 FM (the old "Buzzard"), and Tom Hamilton still does the play-by-play

I usually listen to the games on the radio while I'm building guitars

The old Cleveland Stadium with it's 80,000+ capacity is long gone, and they no longer have promotional "Beer Nites" at the present stadium either ;)

Did you grow up in Cleveland?

Dude, we have to get together and reminisce!