MLB: How Is Your Team Doing?

Teddyjack

Friend of Leo's
Reds fan here. They are at the bottom of the division. The beginning of the season was so bad that my friend in Cleveland mailed me the book, "On A Clear Day They Could See Seventh Place - a history of the worst teams in baseball". Things have improved somewhat in the past few weeks and they have some good young pitchers but I'm not expecting any miracles.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
Could you imagine if Gallo and Hicks become reliable at-bats? Man, that would be a long line-up.
Amen. Hicks seems to be heating up a bit, finally. He had a good night in the rubber game against the Twins last night. Gallo will come around.

When you consider some of the injuries and the lack of hitting from some of them, it's amazing they are where they are. But I just want this to continue, straight through the post-season. Long way to go.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm from Houston originally, born and raised. So I'm no fair-weather fan. Before the strike in the 90s, me and dad would go to the Astrodome all the time, from the time I could walk. Seen Nolan Ryan pitch for the Stros, and a lot of other great moments. the killer B's. A long time of suffering. So I'm no fair-weather fan.

My Astros are doing well, I'd say. .632, 9 games ahead in their division, just behind the hated, hateful, terrible, most inglorious basturds the NYY in the AL overall. So I reckon they are headed for a post-season clash...again.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Amen. Hicks seems to be heating up a bit, finally. He had a good night in the rubber game against the Twins last night. Gallo will come around.
I actually have more faith in Andujar than Gallo or Hicks. Don't get me wrong, I love Gallo's glove and personality. But I've always liked Andujar's bat. You hear that the Cubs DFA'd Clint Frazier today?

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I don't know. I'm a Mariners fan, not really into standings. They're more fun to watch if you don't care how many games back they are.
Exactly how I feel about the Pirates. At least we aren't in last place, yet. But I love them and we have a great park to play in.

We're just a farm team, they don't want to pay anything.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Cardinals are a 1/2 game out of first and doing okay. I start to pay more attention after the Fourth of July.

Cards fan here too... I'm a pretty 'casual' fan and like you, don't follow closely till later in the season.

Question for everyone: how do you feel about the shift? I'd like to see it outlawed. I get it, these guys are professionals, should learn to adjust to it etc. But the game is becoming un-watchable to me, nothing but strikeouts and bombs. No small ball / manufacturing of runs. And that's the baseball I enjoy.

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
Twins fan here. The team has been playing surprisingly well especially given they have been ravaged by injuries. They find ways to win and are fundamentally sound. Except when they play the Yankees. As usual, they just can’t seem to ever beat that team. Good thing they don’t play in the AL East.

Teddyjack

Friend of Leo's
Question for everyone: how do you feel about the shift? I'd like to see it outlawed. I get it, these guys are professionals, should learn to adjust to it etc. But the game is becoming un-watchable to me, nothing but strikeouts and bombs. No small ball / manufacturing of runs. And that's the baseball I enjoy.
I'm not a fan of the shift and always hope whoever is batting will bunt but I don't think that's a skill a lot of players have these days. I think MLB is making some changes next season.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm not a fan of the shift and always hope whoever is batting will bunt but I don't think that's a skill a lot of players have these days. I think MLB is making some changes next season.

THIS has been one of the craziest things! It seems 90% of the time they hit right to the shift too!

Just lay down a bunt! I don't think one time I've seen anyone bunt against the shift...

I still recall back in the early 1970s seeing Big Red Machine at Padres. We'd always go early for batting practice and the Reds were peppering the OF seats! Except Davey Concepcion! He was spraying bunts and sharp hits around the infield.

Makes no sense to try for a double or more when they give you a free single at least!

Teddyjack

Friend of Leo's
THIS has been one of the craziest things! It seems 90% of the time they hit right to the shift too!

Just lay down a bunt! I don't think one time I've seen anyone bunt against the shift...

I still recall back in the early 1970s seeing Big Red Machine at Padres. We'd always go early for batting practice and the Reds were peppering the OF seats! Except Davey Concepcion! He was spraying bunts and sharp hits around the infield.

Makes no sense to try for a double or more when they give you a free single at least!
The 70's were a good time to be a Reds fan. Concepcion was a favorite and what a great fielder he was. I remember the Padres had McCovey and Winfield on those early 70's teams. I was just reading about the changes for next year and not allowing teams to have more than two players on one side of second base.

mark64

TDPRI Member
That’s cool, and although it ain’t cheap, there is nothing like being at the ballpark. Even a live minor league game is worth it. Enjoy!
Yeah it aint cheap! But now that I am retired I decided to splurge a bit. After a 45 year career its time to reap the rewards. Love being at the ballpark and you are right minor league ball is great too. I even like to watch a local high school game now and then.