Mkster Open G blues experiment .

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by mkster, Jul 16, 2019.

1. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

In the 50s and 60s players blossomed listening to old blues recording many of them in open tuning . then for a major part of the rock revolution was born from the transformation of old open tuning songs to the standard tuning as example what Clapton did with Roadhouse . So many other examples could me mentioned as well ...

So i decided to do the opposite take standard tuning songs and playing them in open tuning , i try to hide the open tuning and fool people in not knowing what it is or assume its open tuning . I try to sound like i am in standard as much as possible .

The open tuning transforms the guitar into a diatonic instrument enabling me to play rhythm and lead at the same time or my version of the way player played in the 20s and 30s .

I hope you will enjoy , best regards

Marc

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. decker

decker Tele-Afflicted

Interesting, and great playing Marc.

mkster likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh no we’re gonna lose another to open G!;)

Be carful with that beautiful tuning, I started using it so much that it became my go to tuning. Now standard tuning is unrewarding and doesn’t scratch that itch.

Anyway cool videos and playing
    Nice job:)

mkster likes this.
  4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

My favourite reason for playing so much in open tunings is, It allows me to throw in a slide solo or riff. It helps, that you can bluff a lot of the chord shapes, without need for that steel pinky.

Have you given much more thought to live performance, Marc?

5. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Top drawer

mkster likes this.
  6. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I don't know that there are enough blues inclined people in my city to sustain much live venues , i don't have or need a band so i would keep all of it ...

I was thinking maybe making a live youtube show , but i need more material . Maybe do sets every 2 weeks or so try to build from that . But eventually i will make my own stuff there is only so much people into the blues thing .

And then we will see .

Marc

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I have played exclusively for about 7 years now .. my brain is rewired now i could not play standard tuning to save my life .

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

What type of thumb pick do you use? I’ve never seen that one. I exclusively use thumb picks and use fenders because they have a finer point, a lot of thumb picks have a big shark fin paddle.
    Do the ones you use have a finer point than something like a Dunlop?

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Many years ago i tried the pointy ones you speak of i still have it , i just never liked it . I played 25 year with a regular pick , but after looking at a great ch on youtube about picking by Troy Grady he shows how picking technique differs from player to player , it came clear to me that i spent to much time on the wrong hand .

I did not want to copy anyone else i wanted to invent mine . After thinking about it , i had tried everything over the years except the thumb pick liberating the index finger from its duty of holding the pick , the thumb is strong but the index is fast and agile its the go to finger , the Swiss army finger forgotten and under used . Plus if really need to sound flat pick i just put my index under it , two for one! The only thing i cant do anymore is pick harmonics .

I use a herco extra heavy . Its really big and i cut it so its more comfortable to me to me . I shorten it and pull the point back. Very similar to the picture .

I tried many things it used to be really short , it helped not getting cut in the strings (unintentional upstroke) .

I invented myself two simple exercises to practice my new technique it did not take long before a was running , the longer part was to learning the neck , figuring how to play the chords .

I always play the blues but i practiced many different modes using G as 1 ,Ionian, aeolian , also as 4 notes chord scales . I can play Flamenco harmony's ( Sultans of swings) as well with Phrygian.

In standard you move the position depending on the key , in open tuning everything you learn is in the same position and that is like cheating because before long everything you have learned merges and becomes something else . You have to figure how to adapt everything you know to open tuning many things are impossible to do but that is the fun of it . The solution you find are yours .

herco-he111-extra-heavy-onglet-pouce-rouge.jpg

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Really enjoy your playing Marc, you got it down.

11. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Thank you !

12. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I hope you will enjoy this one ...

Marc

NWinther and Mjark like this.
  13. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You have good time and great feel. The Blues is so hard to play well. You got there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.