1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MJT / USACG....can someone explain this, please?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Bedder18, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

I used to do business with Tommy at USACG years ago and when he/ they sort of disappeared/ sold on...it looks like MJT took over things. Not sure about the details, but ...ok..

So when I try to give the crew at MJT a shot and place a custom order for a neck, it’s blocked from payment. When I contact MJT about it, they say they “aren’t accepting custom orders at this time” ...hmm....ok...

Can someone explain what (exactly) MJT does? Are they focused on just the finishes? Do they own the former USACG business? Are they outsourcing their necks and bodies ? Seeing how they only offer a very limited amount of specs regarding necks and bodies, it would seem they have a supplier relationship. No big deal to me, but According to the USACG site, the wording would indicate they’ve simply partnered with MJT to offer finishes. When I asked MJT about the future of custom necks (the way USACG did things), they said “we haven’t set up the neck shop and don’t know when we will” or something to that effect. Who is “we”? Is it two companies or one? If you don’t have a neck shop, where are the MJT branded necks coming from?

Enlighten me , please....what is this relationship, and why does it appear so strange? Hopefully they’re just experiencing some growth hiccups and will get it sorted out soon.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Mark Jenny bought the USACG name and some of the equipment, and intends to carry on the business, last I heard. MJT used to outsource their bodies and necks and just do finishes; I think by buying USACG he intended to enable in-house body and neck production.

The dust is probably still settling on how the business will be operated; it takes time to set up supply agreements and hire and train the crew to operate the machinery.

3. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Thank you. Most of that makes sense, with the exception of the outsourcing. I think they *probably still* (?) outsource their bodies and necks. If they were producing them in-house, it would seem they could provide more options. Example: I like their Lydia body shape, so I asked them if they could rout it like a jazzmaster for me and I’m waiting on the answer. If they’re making bodies in-house, that should be an easy thing to crank out for me (I’d probably buy several). Regarding a custom spec’d neck that falls outside of their current “supplier’s” limitations...ain’t happening. Hopefully that changes soon.

I’m cheering for their success because they have a good thing going, but it could be a LOT more if they get into full production.

4. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

From the USACG website:

We are very excited to announce that USA Custom Guitars is now part of the MJT Guitars/MJT Aged Finishes family of companies. Over the coming weeks, everything will be moved from the Pacific Northwest to the good ol’ Midwest where we will once again become operational. An announcement will be made on the future of the Custom Shop and the Inventory availability in the coming weeks. We have enjoyed being part of the guitar community for 20 years and thrilled to hand this off to the great team at MJT. You can email the MJT guys with any questions at [email protected]

So it sounds like a temporary pause in production to get things moved/set up, and they've yet to release the plans for exactly what'll be available moving forward.

I've bought two MJT products, one a body that was for sale that I used for a build, and then a full custom Esquire that MJT made for me to my specs, and it's absolutely perfect.

I haven't used USACG products (mine used an AllParts neck, as that TMO-V is my perfect neck carve). But I've only heard good things. Hopefully MJT can continue the USACG-level quality. If their quality on the build is any indication, they will.

Bedder18 likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The original USACG quality, when it was owned and run my Tommy Rosamond.

When he and his business partners sold the company, QC went into the crap tank. It was pretty bad; bad enough that they went belly up, laid off all employees, and locked the doors for good. Until MJT showed interest in the name and equipment.

heffus and Bedder18 like this.
  6. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Ah....This is the information I was missing. Thank you, again.
    I stepped out of the “bolt on” world for several years and hadn’t realized what happened. Tragic.
    I still have 4 USACG necks and probably bought a dozen more. Of course these were bought more than 5 years ago now..every one of them is perfect. I don’t mean just perfect in the shape and size but perfect in resonance and “life”. Top quality.

well, let’s hope Mark Jenny can bring it back to former glory. I like the bodies he’s producing, so if they can make necks on par with what Tommy was doing- that’s a slam dunk.

Peegoo likes this.
  7. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I wasn't really aware of that bit of history, so yes....totally agree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.