MJT relics/custom/etc...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by horax, Jul 30, 2021.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Anybody here have an MJT?
    What are your thoughts on their work?

I was thinking about having them take a tele of mine (partscaster of squier/fender parts) and having them redo the entire thing, relic style....

the cost is good. About 800 plus shipping. Way cheaper than buying a new telecaster.
    I have a budget of about 2000, but if I don't have to spend it, even better.

What are your thoughts on MJT?

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m happy with my mjt body, came out as good as I expected
    I would use them again for sure, great customer service

They did this JM for me (the bad pickguard fit is my fault)
    CD5D52D6-1FE7-4705-BF69-F2F1DFA5E6E3.jpeg 259CC3AD-57C5-45A1-A180-DC01FDA811FC.jpeg

This shows how thin their finishes are the yellow spot is where it’s worn through from resting on my leg (happened within months)
    4C6639DA-64D6-40BB-AAC8-A39EB9DE4391.jpeg

Fendereedo, OlDefGuy and horax like this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I had a custom tele made by them a couple of years ago. Great quality and craftsmanship. And their customer service is top notch!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

I have had pretty good luck with MJT bodies, 2 builds for other guys and 1 for myself. One had a super soft finish, I mean you could scratch it with your thumbnail but they took care of it.
    I’ll try to post some pics of the strat I built for myself when I get off work.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve had a few, and I am very impressed!
    Here they are.
    I modded the white blonde one, and eventually released it, but not for any fault I found with it.
    I’m an inveterate modder.
    The white blonde T style was all MJT, the sunburst S style has a MJT body, as does the black S style.
    Great stuff!
    The mahogany S style is all Warmoth.
    505E8A24-D3FE-407D-8154-F78CE4AEEC5E.jpeg 48F29998-51A1-4DE0-BD0C-DB76201B2849.jpeg D8246715-CE9B-4163-B3BD-A10D70E33AF8.jpeg 5ACF0E07-7B4A-498B-9AEA-3F5DC093061D.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    BB, Fendereedo and Nelg like this.
  6. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

That's interesting to see - a hard-tail with a tremolo bridge!

Fendereedo and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Wait a minute, what’s going on here? A hard tail with a tremolo bridge plate, insanity!

Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
  8. brookdalebill

Agreed, it is weird, not unlike it’s operator.
    It’s the way I bought it, and it sounds great, so I’m going to leave it alone.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  9. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

10. brookdalebill

Cool!
    All mine are light, too!
    The sunburst is one piece, and the lightest guitar of the three.
    The other two are two piece, center match, and still far lighter than any Fender or stuff I HAVE.

Fendereedo and bumnote like this.
  11. YYZman

YYZman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Having put together 2 dozen MJTs or so, it’s hard to go wrong with their work and their service.

The wear patterns that they create are IMHO more authentic than run-of-the-mill Custom Shop guitars as well.

12. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't know yet about the quality of their product, but I know for sure their customer service is AWFUL. I sent a telecaster body in for a refinish back in March, and still don't have it. Around the promised time I sent an email and (many days later) they sent back pictures and they had done my guitar in the wrong color. I emailed and asked for clarification, since I asked for butterscotch blonde and the pictures they sent looked more like a white blonde. It took weeks of back and forth for them to get that it was the wrong color. I kept asking "well what color did you put on it" and they just wouldn't answer. I would reply and each time they would take days to a week to respond. So they tell me they will fix it right away. Weeks go by, I check again and they tell it will be 4-5 weeks still. So basically it will have ended up taking 11-12 weeks to correct their mistake, when they are saying 6-8 weeks for a new order! So instead of "fixing it right away" they just stuck it in the back of the line. Or maybe they make so many mistakes, that the fix line is longer than the new order line. Needless to say, I'm not impressed! Just hope the finished product is good.

Gris and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

I’ve bought a couple MJT bass bodies and have a P body now with a Nash neck. Customer service was great on the custom orders, and the others I bought second hand. First off... All are WAY better than my reranch spray can jobs. They do a great job. Still waiting for the right Firemist Gold or aged LPB/Ocean Turquoise P body to pop up on eBay.

FlyGuy10 and Fendereedo like this.
  14. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

I think very highly of MJT. I have owned three of their bodies. One is on my favorite Esquire. Actually, it is my favorite guitar ever.

FlyGuy10, brookdalebill and gmann like this.
  15. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

I've gotten two MJT bodies from eBay auctions. The first was a Strat body like this black one with a misshapen upper horn. I reshaped and was able to patch the relic-ed seafoam green finish. The other was a Jazzmaster body -- again with an upper horn that I felt needed reshaping. As the relic job was a bit over the top, I stripped it off, reshaped the horn and went with a tung oil finish which allowed all the dents and scrapes to still be visible.

Then again, I have also seen MJT bodies and finishes that were spot-on. Maybe MJT auctions their less-successful bodies on eBay. I've noticed that they photograph the strat bodies at an angle that makes it hard to see the true shape of the upper horns.

MJT Crap Body.JPG

16. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

Here’s my strat with MJT body
    09464585-D1D2-4192-B3F0-59B0751AB3C3.jpeg E3D8A05E-0F34-431C-A6B5-4A1EBDE830C7.jpeg

Fretting out and horax like this.
  17. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

This body I bought from mjt. Very happy with it. EB189BB7-6DE6-493E-B2B7-DEEC1AC1E093.jpeg

18. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Cool colour. What is it?

I have a '72 Thinline from MJT. Very, very pleased with both the end result and the process that led me there. Another project is already underway.

19. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

The color is from G&L and is called sunset coral. They had teased it a few years ago on a new build and I pleaded with them to add the color to their usual rotation. At the time they hadn't, so I had to take matters into my own hands.

aleski likes this.
  20. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

All MJT build. Fiesta red, my favorite Tele and easy as heck in the hands.

69655928_400436844225508_3924340927212027904_n.jpg

FlyGuy10, Fendereedo, BB and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.