MJT Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Doth, Oct 22, 2011.

1. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

That's a great burst you got there.

2. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Just received my hardtail Strat body last from MJT.
    2 tone burst, ash, light relic to match the condition of the 57AVRI neck going on it.
    Just added 2nd layer of shielding paint...man I'd forgotten how strong those fumes are.
    The body is perfect, exactly what I had in mind! Nice grain, light weight and the relicing looks good. The neck has a decade of wear on it and the body's finish matches this perfectly.
    By this weekend I should be finished putting all the pieces together and I'll post some pics.
    Tonight when I get home from work I'll slap another coat of shielding paint on it and another in the morning and wire up the pickguard.
    Finally have the hardtail Strat I've always wanted!

hrstrat57 likes this.
  3. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I am not a fan of playing strats but a hardtail has always intrigued me being a tele player. Can't wait for the pics, it should be awesome.

4. bumnote

Finally got around to taking the pics of MJT hardtail Strat build.

Ash body, '02 57RI neck, CS54 pups w/ no load tone pot, mini switch turns on neck pup. This guitar is very light. I don't have a scale to weigh it, but it feels around one pound lighter than my alder body 62 AVRI with a trem. Sound wise, it's a Strat...no different than my other two. My 57RI w/ a 62RI neck has the exact same pickups with an added bridge baseplate, same pots, capacitors, treble bleed and strings on it and tone wise...they're identical twins. A hardtail isn't going to get you into Telecaster territory. Put a mini switch or rewire a Strat for a neck/bridge combo and you'll get something somewhat close to the same combo on a Tele.

The pickguard is the original mint-green that came on my 62 AVRI. I prefer cream color pickguards so I swapped out the guard on the '62, took the mint green guard and attached it to my balcony post. That's what happens to a mint green guard after being exposed to direct sunlight for about eight months. The knobs were buffed with steel wool and soaked in coffee for a few weeks. The pups covers were a little more difficult to match to the guard. I buffed with steel wool, soaked in coffee for a couple of weeks, but the staining wasn't enough. Took 600 grit sandpaper and buffed the center and side of the pup covers, left the edges alone and soaked in a mixture of coffee and Rit Synthetic Fiber Dye for a few days. That left the areas outside the strings lighter in color and darker under the strings. I'd seen that discoloring on actual vintage pup covers and liked it. The pickguard looks a lot darker in the direct sunlight as the pics show, didn't tinker with color in the pics. The indoor pics were taken inside on a cloudy day.
    Very happy with the way this turned out, finally got the Hardtail Strat I've always wanted and it plays even better.
    At point, once I strip the finish off, my 62 body will be sent off to MJT. I want to do something like the Michael Landau CS Strat.

Attached Files:

Chunkocaster, baiff and ifallalot like this.
  5. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just paid 50% up front for a new project. I feel bad because I went back and forth a bunch of times and even changed my mind on what I wanted after I made the first payment.

I originally wanted to do a single humbucker Esquire like this

[​IMG]

Then I changed my mind to a copy of the HS Strat the Custom Shop made

[​IMG]

But then I realized that would overlap my HSS American Pro way too much so I went back to what I've wanted for years, a Telecaster

[​IMG]

This guitar will be Fiesta Red, heavy wear, with a maple neck

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Assume you mean a Telemaster? Great choice! I have one on order right now as well. Body should be arriving to MJT for finishing any day now. Darker Lake Placid Blue, light wear, dual humbuckers, dark rosewood fretboard with ss frets on a V to C neck. I’m being very patient.

Like you, I went back and forth, but went with what I’ve always wanted.

7. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

That hardtail looks awesome bumnote! It looks like the 55' Bonamassa has.

bumnote likes this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Mine is currently being finished up after finally getting them the Pups I had set aside for her. Cant wait. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bumnote likes this.
  9. TeleTex82

Welp she is ready, shipping a case over to MJT tomorrow so hope to have her in ether next week and a half. She turned out exactly as I'd hoped.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chunkocaster, bumnote and baiff like this.
  10. bumnote

Love the look of that neck!

TeleTex82 likes this.
  11. TeleTex82

Went with the roasted maple '63 profile, 6105 frets and 10" radius. The guitar's looks were inspired by Doyle Bramhall II's strat and the specs were modeled after a Wildwood 10 strat. The pups are Rob Distefano's Bengal Tiger set with a blend mod.

12. ctom2

ctom2 TDPRI Member

Charcoal Frost Metallic with a Warmoth neck. The body is swamp ash at 3 lb 10 oz.

6.9 lbs finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

That is an interesting string tree. Never seen one like that before. Very cool color!!!

14. ctom2

ctom2 TDPRI Member

15. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I’m actually changing out the electronics for more traditional 3 single coils at the moment, but here’s my Strat.

E6DD1E5C-11B1-480A-B3A7-21DEDBA133FF.jpeg

They’re finishing 3 guitars for me currently, a mustang, meteora, and a jaguar as soon as the parts get in their shop. Here’s a progress picture I’ve received of my mustang, it ought to be sent soon.

93982133-713E-4C32-B929-0AFD074A8649.jpeg

rich815 and minor9 like this.
  16. craig paddock

craig paddock TDPRI Member

My mjt 54' Tele build. oh the sweetness! IMG_6017.JPG IMG_6018.JPG

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My fiesta 63 mjt strat I put together about seven years ago. Loaded with CS 69 pickups and a brass block.

20181108_225828.jpg

baiff and Mr Scallywag like this.
  18. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I got my mustang back, as well as my meteora body. My jaguar is still in the shop, but here’s the ones I’ve received back.

92E3B898-BE9B-40E4-9D50-3B40ADFB2DC2.jpeg 76194EDB-0B79-49BF-8483-80AF604C17ED.jpeg

TeleTex82 and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. TeleTex82

Got the strat yesterday. Looks pretty good, some minor finish flaws around the neck pocket but that's to be expected. The neck is AMAZING. One of the best necks I have ever played. it's the USACG 60s neck with a 10.5 radius. It took some getting used to coming over from my 52 7.25 but I am now really digging it. Chording is very easy and soloing takes a lot less effort and strain.

The thing that really ties it all together though is the Bengal Tiger pup set I got from Rob DiStefano. These things absolutely HOWL. The neck is the purest, clearest, strat neck tone, and the overwound bridge is ballsy and tangy and so so good. Really excited to bust this thing out at our next gig this weekend.

Big thanks to Doug at MJT for all his patience and help.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

baiff likes this.
  20. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Here we go again. I just won a Shoreline Gold body on ebay. Looking at doing a mid 60's style with possibly a humbucker in the neck.

roknfnrol and rich815 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.