1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MJT Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Doth, Oct 22, 2011.

1. squatch

squatch Tele-Meister

I just buy random boutiquey & vintage pickups when they're cheap, it's a lucky dip anyway

I've bought Porter, Roadhouse, David Allen, Lollar, Evans etc
    Lots of Duncans 'cos I usually like 'em, and I collect the maroon ones

Here's an old '62 Jansen pickup (NZ) I'm fitting to a Telemaster (gotta do some routing first)
    I like how it matches the maroon Duncan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Here has been my pickups of choice of late for my main gigging axes...

The one on the right is the MJT I posted above, originally with the Savalas bridge and Hilos in both positions. I have reverted it to stock tele bridge with CJ tooling bridge and saddles; a top loader. I missed that tele bridge!

The Hilo neck and the Tele bridge are awesome together. The Hilo is unique; kind of stratty but with more girth and less bite. Sounds beautiful like a good single coil should. It's warm and round but with some sparkle.

Hilos are low output and balance well with a vintage wind Tele bridge.

Cool thing about Hilos is that everybody seems to want Filtertrons and so you can find vintage Hilos for cheap. I got a quartet for 90 each. One day that will change.

I'm loving my MJT axes more than any other guitars I've ever had. I had a Nash and the finish work of MJT is on another level. MJT is the master of checking.

Attached Files:

3. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Snagged this pretty cheap last night. My 98 Am Stand is going to be a yellowing white.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441643085.256504.jpg

4. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Finally done......56'ish MJT Esquire. 2 piece Black ash body with the usual Allparts TMO-C neck. I went with CJ tooling 5/16" steel saddles and a custom wound Rumpelstiltskin pickup. It is called the "Barnburner" and at 6.1K, 42 wire and A5 staggered mags this thing kills! I did make one small mistake as I put in a .047 cap instead of a .0047 for the forward cocked was tone. Now it has the usual bassy tone that for me is not very useable. Still, it has great tone and rings like a bell.

Attached Files:

5. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice! Looks sweet. And I love the cocked wah mod. Hope you get that squared away soon.

6. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I just put the .0047 cap in a I like it a lot more than I thought I would. When I do another Esquire I may put in a .0033 or a .0022 just to see. For now I am loving this new one. MJT auctions will be the death of me.

7. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Starting an Esquire Custom build myself. Got the body from Matt and the neck off ebay. Ordered Pups from John Benson. More to follow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Nice burst you got there. What Benson pickups are you getting? I have the 8K A3 bridge with a 7.5K A5 neck and they sound fabulous.

9. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Per John's recommendation a 10k A5 bridge and a 7.5K A2 P-90 in the neck with a 4 way switch to get the added series selection. He's wiring the pups special to get the best out of the set. I bought a used Roadworn Tele awhile back with his blues set already installed. Sounded great but I took out the neck pup and "Esquired" it with a straight shot (no volume or tone) in the first position. Great sound so I contacted him for this project. :cool:

10. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Just got this MJT tele body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

baiff likes this.
  11. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Nice Sonic Blue Rolloman!!! Is it sad that I just finished putting one together and I am already looking for the next one? I need help.

12. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Hahaha. You've got it bad. Lol. This is my first relic project. I've built and painted 4 projects so far but they were not relic jobs. I hope this will do me for a long while. Trying to decide about maple or rosewood fretboard. Also aging that pickguard on it or else age a tortoise pickguard. Decisions decisions. What ya'll think?

13. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Very nice...I am loving the low output A2 Benson P90 pickups I have in my MJT Sonic Blue that is a few posts back. I don't think you'll be disappointed

One think you might consider adding to that is the push pull tone pot for the out of phase middle position; it's funky and gets a T-Bone sound.

I spent the extra coin on my 2nd MJT build to have MJT relic me a pearl pickguard to match the guitar and I don't regret it. The first build I used new "aged pearl" and it just doesn't match. My 2 cents!

I know the feeling brother! I'm already GAS'ing my next build....Surf Green Jazzmaster body routed for Filtertrons. Like this Custom Shop but with two PUs...and maybe a bigsby...a home for 60's Hilos...kind of like a fusion of Cabronita/Tennessean/Jazzmaster/Jazzbass

[​IMG]

14. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I know the feeling brother! I'm already GAS'ing my next build....Surf Green Jazzmaster body routed for Filtertrons. Like this Custom Shop but with two PUs...and maybe a bigsby...a home for 60's Hilos...kind of like a fusion of Cabronita/Tennessean/Jazzmaster/Jazzbass

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

That would look cool!

15. cameronbears

cameronbears TDPRI Member

This happens to be my very first post here! Today I received my MJT Tele in the mail. I waited about 10 weeks for it to be made, but it was so worth the wait. I'll just post the pictures for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

irie and fordfanjpn like this.
  16. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

That looks sweet! Love the dark amber on the neck. What pickups did you go with?

17. cameronbears

cameronbears TDPRI Member

I chose a Porter 9T in the neck and a Porter Custom Tele in the bridge!

18. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

That's a beaut. Welcome to the forum

19. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Beautiful! And welcome to TDPRI!

20. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Had a chance today to get them all together for an updated family shot.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.