MJT Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Doth, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

It's Phil. We were at his home studio yesterday. If you look closely into the studio, you can see his baby blue Nash Esquire just beneath the neck of my Beck. He has some very cool guitars, for sure.

2. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Wow that's awesome!! Wish I had a buddy like that.

3. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Hello MikeMurray,

Phils is a great friend and a really nice guy that absolutely loves playing guitar. It drives me crazy that so many people are haters (even on this forum). He is insanely talented, so maybe they are just jealous.

Don

RevBillyG likes this.
  4. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

I'm a really big fan. It's really evident that he loves music, he's a human textbook of riffs. Actually just yesterday I had Air Hockey Champion stuck in my head.

Did he mention how it compares to some of the vintage instruments he's played?

5. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Although Beck looks just like Beck's Esquire, it's quite a modern player. It has a compound radius neck that Phil loves, Callaham compensated saddles, the Eldred Mod and a killer Lollar pickup. It's not really a fair comparison to a vintage instrument. He has tried to by it from me several times.

He also absolutely loves his Nash. While he appreciates vintage equipment, one of his favorite guitars is his $500 LTD Viper.

6. djamin

djamin TDPRI Member

Here she is!

I must say (like anything first-time) this has been quite a roller coaster ride :) but I'm absolutely happy with the outcome for sure. Spent this whole week putting together this Tele using the MJT body and MIJ Fender neck + hardwares, I'll be soldering the PU's today, I'm looking forward to hear how this baby sings! Which is probably the most important part of it all :) Matt has been very helpful, working with me on color and shade of a honey blonde, in the end it came out very close to what I'm looking for. Here are some pics, enjoy!

Attached Files:

RevBillyG likes this.
  7. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Djamin,

That is awesome! It looks well worth the wait. All great guitars have a cool story! It reminds me of my Daphne with the HB in the neck. What a great combo!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Attached Files:

8. djamin

djamin TDPRI Member

Thanks Doth! Yeah it was totaly well worth the wait and work. Love the color of your Daphene! I'm excited to hear the neck Phat Cat which is what triggers this whole building your own Tele journey :)

9. Falzoony

Falzoony TDPRI Member

Phil X! Please tell me you got a video of him playing that guitar! Love that guy. I'll try to get a video up of my la cab so you can all hear it.

10. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

I didn't get a video, we were goofing around outside of his studio. He was shredding on it, then stopped cold and said....."22 frets?! Yeooowwwww!"

RevBillyG likes this.
  11. Falzoony

Falzoony TDPRI Member

That's awesome, I can just imagine him saying it!

12. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Phil's ok. At first I was a bit put off but he has bucket loads of talent so it's fun to watch him play. Hey, he could just as easily be a snob about it.

I kept pics of a tobacco burst alder Strat body MJT had on ebay last year so when I have the $$$ I can send him the pics and tell him to do it again.

13. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

He has a lot of talent really enjoys playing.

Good idea on keeping the photo, but I think half the fun is that Mark does each body a little differently. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with when you are ready.

Don

14. '56Teleman

I agree and it would be nice to win an auction and save some cash but most of his auction pieces are reliced too heavily for me. The one I liked had a bit of checking and just a few nicks.

I have a 3-ply white guard and pickup covers off a '88 Am Std I used to own that have the scratches I put there along with the discoloring that comes with time.

They aren't destroyed but will look out of place on a shiny guitar.

15. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Hey '56Teleman,

I have had him specifically finish two guitars for me, Beck is heavily reliced to match the Original Beck, but Daphne is mildly reliced. I have also seen guitars that he has done with checking only. Its nice to really be able to pick what you want.

However, I bought a kit from them on an eBay auction. I had to wait a long time to get what I wanted; BSB, Thick Neck, Maple board, and super light. But it came along.

Keep us in the loop and post photos!

Don

16. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Yeah just order one of the custom sets. You get to choose how it looks. I went with the absolute minimum treatment and it came looking like a nice used body. They're really easy to work with.

17. squatch

squatch Tele-Meister

Also, Mark and Matt are really fair with their freight charges
    If you're buying from Australia you can get the whole kit landed for $63 postage
    Even if you buy the top of the line kit (double bound ash Tele) it still comes in under a grand
    with postage, so there's no customs duty
    I went for the auction items myself last time, 2 bodies and a neck, Matt bundles the postage so it's a real good deal
    Next time I might go for a custom kit and get a pleasant surprise!

18. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

They are fair about everything, in my opinion. If anybody I know wants a relic'd guitar, I always recommend Matt and Mark. Great guys, Fantastic products.

19. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

My featherweight, one piece T body in Blackguard finish should be here Monday.
    Looking forward to getting my paws on it!

20. '56Teleman

Please post some pics, Monkey Man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.