MJT Finish Question

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 724SP, Apr 9, 2020.

1. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Hello everyone,
    I have a quick question regarding the color options offered by MJT Guitars. I'm interested in putting together a somewhat traditional Blackguard Esquire, and was originally looking at their Butterscotch finishes. Then, I noticed they have a color option called 'Blackguard'. The Blackguard appears a little more transparent, perhaps a little darker (less yellow). My question is...is the Blackguard finish offered by MJT more accurate for a early 50's Tele, or would the Butterscotch be the way to go?
    I know that vintage Teles are all over the place in how they've aged, the lacquer exposure to ultraviolet light, etc., etc. I'm just trying to get a feel for a good place to start. Generally, from the gallery on their website, I prefer the Blackguard option, so I'll probably go that route anyway. Just thought someone might know the story on this. Thanks!

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Call Matt or Mark or email them and ask for a side by side of the two colors. I am thinking the Blackguard is the way to go. But it is personal preference. My Fiesta Red in my avatar is an MJT. It is sweetness in a relic Fiesta. They are a pretty good bunch to get along with. Over the years their prices have gone up but they do great work.

Fretting out and baiff like this.
  3. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Thanks, Dented...I did just that! In case anyone else is wondering, here is the answer, from MJT: The Blackguard finish is just more transparent, showing more of the grain. The Butterscotch is a bit more opaque. Thar ya have it. Now, decision time for me!

dented likes this.
  4. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Ha too funny, I’m doing a Blackguard Esquire with them right now too. I just sent them a reference photo...that’s what I’ve done with them in the past and they’re always spot-on. Good luck!

dented likes this.
  5. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Here is my MJT Blackguard. I have made a few of these (color) and they have all been great!

Attached Files:

aadvark, Unionjack515 and dented like this.
  6. Unionjack515

Per the previous posts in the thread, how did you go about specifying color?

7. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. I am now fully decided, that Blackguard color looks soooo good. Almost as good as Unionjack515's avatar photo..;)

8. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I sent Matt some pics of a Blackguard that was at CME a few years ago. He sent me 4 pics of raw bodies and I picked this one because of the grain pattern and weight (3.12lbs).

Unionjack515 likes this.
  9. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I recently ordered a body from MJT and sent them a photo of a masterbuilt guitar which seemed to be something in between their BSB and butterscotch blonde. They said no problem to do something very similar. I wasn't expecting it to be that close really, but was looking forward to seeing what they would come up with.

Unfortunately when they sent me a photo of the unfinished body they had sourced I immediately knew that there was no way I was going to be happy with any kind of translucent finish with that grain pattern. So my blackguard is actually just black.

Wasn't too happy with the outcome but good thing they sent the photo and I was able to pick another finish.

10. Unionjack515

Well that’s disappointing...did you ask them if you could pick a different body? I’ve always sourced bodies and necks myself and just sent them along for finishing. And I’ve never had them assemble for me...not that I think they’d do a poor job, I’m just a bit of a control freak like that.

11. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I did not ask for another body because it took over 2 months for them to get this one (they said there was a shortage).

Also the one they did get was 1 piece and 3.6 lbs which I found appealing so I still wanted it, just not for the blackguard build.

Attached is a photo. I guess I'm picky about grain patterns with translucent finishes.

Attached Files:

Unionjack515 likes this.
  12. Unionjack515

Yep I could see not wanting that in a translucent finish too.

ladave likes this.
  13. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

57587954205__BBD0B8A1-734B-41DA-9EB1-E1E001B9B656.JPG I got my body from MJT when I tried to make a replica of a '53 like Roy Buchanan's Nancy. They do a great job. (Fralin 50s style pups). I love this guitar a lot and have used it a lot. Although it never made me play as well as Roy!

Here's a pic of her with my more recently acquired genuine '52. It goes without saying that the partscaster doesn't get the same play time... although the neck has started to wear in!

baiff likes this.
  14. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I too think you've done the right thing! Enjoy.

15. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

Ditto, but worth it, I reckon!

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.