MJT "Closet Clean" finish questions...

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
Looking to put together a second Partscaster and I'm in the market for a body to pair with an AO 50's Tele neck I have. I want this to be a really nice Partscaster, so I don't mind spending a little more for exactly what I want and have no problem paying a premium to get the body weight and wood type, color and having the peace of mind knowing I wont have to do all kinds of modifications to the body to make everything fit.

From everything I've read, MJT makes a superb product and have excellent customer service.

My only issue is they don't offer a "new" finish option, and the "closet clean" option is their least worn finish option.

In your options, is this really a deal breaker if I will be pairing the body with a brand new neck and hardware as far as looking out of place? I don't baby my guitars (they are tools that are meant to be played) but at the same time don't abuse them. I'm also not a fan of relic'd finishes (let's save that debate for other threads as I don't want to derail, and not judging others who like those finishes). But if their closet clean finish is essentially a like new guitar that's been sitting under the bed for decades I may pull the trigger.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't either... especially if it's 'designed' to age and relic quickly.

I'm not really into the whole nitro thing though, so I would probably get a nice shiny Warmoth or something more like that.

... or look for an AO body on Stratosphere?

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I wouldn’t go that route based off your post. Find someone that will give you a factory-new finish.

It will not look like a new guitar and it will definitely wear very fast.
Easier said than done.

Plenty of telecaster bodies for sale out there, but tough to find an accurate, vintage correct Tele body where you can specify the weight you want, type of wood you want with the type of finish you want. I'd rather avoid Warmoth. They've jsut always seemed a "little off" as far as their specs.

I'm sort of leaning toward just being patient and regular combing Stratosphere, Reverb and bay until what I want pops up, and don't mind paying a premium for it as long as it meets my criteria.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I wouldn't either... especially if it's 'designed' to age and relic quickly.

I'm not really into the whole nitro thing though, so I would probably get a nice shiny Warmoth or something more like that.

... or look for an AO body on Stratosphere?
I'm sure it goes in cycles, but the only thing on STRATospehere right now are a lot of Vintera and Player necks that are quite heavy.

I'm looking for either a vintage blonde/white blonde or a double-bound Lake Placid Blue body that weighs 4lbs, preferably ash.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure it goes in cycles, but the only thing on STRATospehere right now are a lot of Vintera and Player necks that are quite heavy.

I'm looking for either a vintage blonde/white blonde or a double-bound Lake Placid Blue body that weighs 4lbs, preferably ash.

Right yeah, AO's are thin on the ground as it is...

I suppose you could buy a unfinished body from somewhere that's the right wood and weight and get it painted somewhere else? I'm sure others would have some idea of where you could go that route.

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Have a early 90s Japanese 52 reissue that I had refinished by MJT. Did the closest classic finish. They did a great job, but it is a really thin finish, and will "age" more quickly than a poly finish. Had mine about a year and it's not too bad, but there are definitely some nicks. Then again I play frequent rowdy bar gigs, and while I'm not tossing it around, it definitely gets banged around. So if you are a careful home player, you'd be alright.

Gclef

TDPRI Member
Easier said than done.

Plenty of telecaster bodies for sale out there, but tough to find an accurate, vintage correct Tele body where you can specify the weight you want, type of wood you want with the type of finish you want. I'd rather avoid Warmoth. They've jsut always seemed a "little off" as far as their specs.

I'm sort of leaning toward just being patient and regular combing Stratosphere, Reverb and bay until what I want pops up, and don't mind paying a premium for it as long as it meets my criteria.
You know they do regular and vintage spec bodies, right?

The vintage spec ones are limited on options like the modern ones can get.

More vintage that way.

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
Can confirm, closet clean will be "light wear" within a few years on the MJT finish if you don't keep it in a case. I have chips, dings, and additional checking present on my finish, but I am somewhat rough on my guitars.

Norrin Radd

Tele-Holic
To answer your original question must know - what is the fingerboard made of? Rosewood, ebony or some other dark wood? For me this would inform the answer. If maple, you will notice the disparity in aging a lot more.

FWIW, I’ve got plenty of MJT bodies but they are all relic’d.

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
I've never asked, but I don't see why MJT wouldn't just make you one that hasn't been relic'd. Ask them to just leave out the relicing stage.
I'm waiting on a closet clean vintage white body from them, if it ever arrives. I'll be posting pics when it does.

Norrin Radd

Tele-Holic
I've never asked, but I don't see why MJT wouldn't just make you one that hasn't been relic'd. Ask them to just leave out the relicing stage.
They don’t do that. Too much labor involved in making pristine finishes. Plus, can you imagine being on CS side of offering “brand new” finishes to the guitar building crowd? No thanks!

jim_pridx

Tele-Afflicted
A little late to the thread here, but this is an MJT "closet clean" finish in Olympic White that I ordered nearly five years ago. As others have stated, it isn't a pristine finish, for the paint has chipped pretty easily in spots, and it has naturally checked throughout, even though it hasn't been exposed to extreme climate changes (hard to see in this photo). There's some noticeable yellowing in the color when the pickguard is lifted as well. For the most part, though, it has held up fairly well over the past few years, but if I was looking to have a nice, durable finish on a guitar, I don't think that I'd go this route again.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Looking to put together a second Partscaster and I'm in the market for a body to pair with an AO 50's Tele neck I have. I want this to be a really nice Partscaster, so I don't mind spending a little more for exactly what I want and have no problem paying a premium to get the body weight and wood type, color and having the peace of mind knowing I wont have to do all kinds of modifications to the body to make everything fit.

From everything I've read, MJT makes a superb product and have excellent customer service.

My only issue is they don't offer a "new" finish option, and the "closet clean" option is their least worn finish option.

In your options, is this really a deal breaker if I will be pairing the body with a brand new neck and hardware as far as looking out of place? I don't baby my guitars (they are tools that are meant to be played) but at the same time don't abuse them. I'm also not a fan of relic'd finishes (let's save that debate for other threads as I don't want to derail, and not judging others who like those finishes). But if their closet clean finish is essentially a like new guitar that's been sitting under the bed for decades I may pull the trigger.

MJT is very efficient, and good at what they do. And they seem to be very easy to work with. But make no mistake, they only do the one thing: Fender style RELIC paint jobs. And they don't know how to say "no" when you ask for something different. Instead, they ignore your request and follow their normal process.

Even in the scope of relic work, they take some shortcuts that I'm not a fan of. Ash grain that isn't smoothed properly before painting, and shows washboard ripples in the belly cut. That's not "wear". Bodies with big swaths of coarse sandpaper scratch marks, visible forever underneath the clear coat. Again, not "wear".

If you like the bodies you see in their eBay, etc listings, then you should be OK. If you really want something slightly different... walk on.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
But make no mistake, they only do the one thing: Fender style RELIC paint jobs. And they don't know how to say "no" when you ask for something different. Instead, they ignore your request and follow their normal process.

This. Plus they seem to have dropped their standards in the past couple years.

If you aren't too picky and like the relic look you'll probably be ok. But if you have high expectations you're probably going to be disappointed.