1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MJT Bought USA Custom Guitars!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mirrorshades, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

Soooo... that happened.
    Is this good, bad, or neutral for the DIY community?

Screenshot_20191110-161948.png

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, I like MJT...Fiesta Red in my avatar. But them growing into a large company doesn't sound tantalizing. I guess that is the drive to make more money right?

Greggorios and Fretting out like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

As long as they have the same great customer service I say more power to them
    I had a easy and great experience with mjt

As far as being good or bad it’s a business it’s not about being punk rock or what not
    Like Steve Martin once’s said

“ I get it .. it’s a profit deal”

Nubs and Greggorios like this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Well they'll have an in house source for bodies and necks now.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

I am not impressed and after the experience I've had so far it's doubtful I would consider using them. I did not find their responses helpful or encouraging. I explained what I wanted and explicitly what I didn't want, I.e. an aged or reliced finish, and the response was they could do a less aged finish or some such a thing. I had a VERY STRONG sense that they are not as interested or willing to do custom work because they did not even respond to that part of my question.

MatsEriksson and Greggorios like this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

They only supply aged finishes, it says so on their web site.

You wouldn't go to the Porsche dealer if you were shopping for a pickup truck either...

7. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It'll be great for Mark and Matt, I wish them the best...

PeterUK and brbadg like this.
  8. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I believe Tommy Rosamond left a couple years ago...I bought multiple bodies and necks from USACG while he was there. I thought they were superb when he was there, not sure what they are like anymore.

elihu and MatsEriksson like this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

drop the price to sub 200 and we'll talk

10. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

True. I was completely unfamiliar with them prior to this. Aside from the incredible quality of product and service delivered by USA Custom Guitars, you could get what you wanted the way you wanted it. I was hoping that would continue but it doesn't appear to on the agenda.

I wish them no ill will. Lots of friends see the appeal for what they do. My dilemma will now be finding someone to work with for a Strat build to compliment my Tele. I see now that I should have jumped on it three or four years ago.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  11. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Ok.It's pretty clear on their website what they do.
    I didn't want aged or relic.They even offer non relic.That's what I got.

https://www.mjtagedfinishes.com/custom-order-services

12. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

This is what I found recently on MJT site:

"Due to trademark laws we recently became aware of, we will no longer sell/supply Fender licensed necks. However, we can still finish and age a Fender licensed neck that you supply us from the supplier of your choice (Musikraft, Allparts, Warmoth, etc)."

https://www.mjtagedfinishes.com/necks

13. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

Well that sucks.

14. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

I like when good things happen to good people. I like when good things happen for good companies. I wish them the best.

15. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Had the same experience with Tommy and USA Custom Guitars. He was great. The necks and bodies I purchased from him were excellent. Purchased 5 of each for 5 different guitars. Not sure about the guitar components made after Tommy left. I have no reason to believe they were any less in quality.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I remember corresponding with Mark Jenny before they were famous. Nice guy and would go to any trouble for you. if MJT are still the same I'd recommend 'em.

17. MatsEriksson

I think it's sad that a company has to sport one individual inside the organisation as a "jesus" of some sort. Maybe Tommy Rosamund was exceptional in support, and - definitely - knowledge, but it's sad if he would "die" and everyone else, and the rest of what the company is all about should die with him. Like he's unreplaceable. One should be wary of letting one or two characters within a company with exceptional charisma/passion being let through too much, becasue once they leave for one reason or another, dies, becomes ill, AWOL, the customers feel - automatically - that the company as a whole should have obituaries. It's just bad conduct.

I ordered a Strat from USACG in 2007, and even talked to Tommy on phone, from Sweden-USA (!). just for 5 short minutes, I clocked it as I was talking so it didn't run amok... of course he turned out a yardstick for the rest of the people in the world, regarding user support. He and I didn't see eye to eye on the stainless steel frets I ordered though, but on that thing, I had my way in the end.

18. MatsEriksson

well, all this means that:

MUSIKRAFT STATEMENT:
    "Due to recent events and after serious consideration regarding our business model, we have made the decision to no longer offer custom made bodies. A more detailed explanation of this business model change will follow in the next newsletter. Thanks for your patience"

Don't know when this was posted, but no "next newsletter" appears/appeared.

Now for the MJT site:

MJT STATEMENT:
    "Due to trademark laws we recently became aware of, we will no longer offer Fender licensed necks. However, we can still finish and age a Fender licensed neck that you supply us from the supplier of your choice (Musikraft, Allparts, Warmoth, etc)"

So one has to order a neck from one of them, and a body from the other! :confused:o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.