MJT aged finishes: how quickly did it wear for you?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fleezinator, Apr 22, 2020.

1. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

I'm not sure if I'd be into relic'd guitars but MJT has the look of faded Ocean Turquoise that I want. If Warmoth had the right color I'd certainly go with a poly finish but their color offerings are only kinda sorta in the ballpark. I'm not interested in finishing it myself.

So, I'm considering a closet clean finish with MJT however I've read that with a thin nitro finish, not only can they get sticky, but they are much more susceptible to wear.

For those that have had their MJT bodies over a period of time, how quickly did it wear?

I know there's several factors at play including amount of play, acidity of sweat, humidity, sunlight, etc. I play every week at a house of worship and it'll get played anywhere from 3-10 hours a week. Oh, and I baby all my gear lol.

Also, if anyone has any other sources on getting faded Ocean Turquoise painted in poly, I'd much appreciate it! I've reached out to a local but he doesn't have any references of painted OT. Thanks!

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Imo, if you’re even asking this question you shouldn’t consider MJT.

They will wear if your breathe on them too heavily. The finish is extremely thin.

jamester, cdwillis, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

They are very thin I’ve worn through the black into the yellow under coat on A sunburst just from it resting on my leg, a small spot but it’s still wear

And mjt’s closet classic still has relicing to my understanding, they don’t do the 100% new look

I’ll take a picture on the couple of spots where mine has worn through when I get off work

fleezinator likes this.
  4. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

They wear very quickly, and they are also prone to chipping off in flakes. Around the neck pocket, especially.

I dig the wear, the chips not as much. I have like 8 or so of them, looking to build a jazz bass for my daughter, next.

loco gringo and fleezinator like this.
  5. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I have to agree with -Hawk- above, if you are considering poly and worried about babying your gear, MJT is not for you. It's more for people who really don't care for poly, want a guitar that doesn't need to be babied as it already has nicks, and want their guitars to wear.

I personally like the closet classic finish and to put my own wear on the guitar.

Of course my guitar in my formative years had an indestructible poly finish. I spent thousands of hours playing it, always hoping to get some wear as a badge of honor for the time I put into it, to no avail.

I love MJT - great people

-Hawk- and fleezinator like this.
  6. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

I had a closet clean body. It was completely checked within a couple months. A little too thin for my tastes. Not sure if that's normal for a nitro finish as I've seen pics of 50s Fenders now with less wear than my MJT after just a couple years. And I wasnt trying to get the wear.

LPTyler and fleezinator like this.
  7. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

Thanks to all chiming in.

Now this has me curious as to how thin Fender's Custom Shop's application of nitro is or is that something that you can customize as well?

8. Fretting out

I forgot to post it yesterday but here’s the spot on my mjt that wore through where it rests on my leg while playing
    (The yellow spot)

FB97B000-5495-49B8-9AFB-41F71F10CAE6.jpeg

And a pic of the guitar if interested
    CDDE5F34-F662-433C-9A76-7B43AEC52FC5.jpeg

I doubt fender does finishing this thin

Although they have a new custom shop relic ready series that are closet classics that are supposed to wear extra fast

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  9. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

Looks like tasteful relicing & I dig that neck binding. I see what you mean, thanks for posting!

Fretting out likes this.
  10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Really thin!

11. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

If you’re careful, not so much. They chip around the neck pocket, but for myself, beyond that, no damage. If you drop a screwdriver on them, that’s a different story. I have a closet clean strat that came with 0 wear at all and it still looks the same as when I got it so far.

7F77411C-E7C7-4E86-B3C6-43EEC16CC853.jpeg 69C39774-D14C-414C-B7BD-981E0D5E4061.jpeg

cdwillis and fleezinator like this.
  12. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

YALCaster, how long have you had your strat? Looks like there's not even a hint of checking on it thus far. How much play time does it get?

YALCaster likes this.
  13. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I have a couple of MJT guitars that I play quite a bit, and I've had no issues at all with chipping or undesirable wear. Mine aren't closet classics or whatever, they're more normal relics, but the finish doesn't present as brittle (unnecessarily so).

fleezinator likes this.
  14. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I just put together a MJT body in closet clean, been meaning to post some photos.

I immediately got one long checking line when I screwed in the bridge, at least that's when I assume it happened.

Looking at that LPB strat photo makes me think they may have changed the way they do them.

That strat looks like NOS as where mine has a lot of texture, and came with a couple little dings.

Mine looks like an old guitar (and one that doesn't have the best paint job). I'm fine with that as it's all stated clearly on their website.

But I did read a post here once where somebody quoted MJT as saying "if you order closet clean, it's very close to NOS". That is not at all accurate when it comes to mine.

YALCaster and fleezinator like this.
  15. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I’ve had two CC MJT bodies, neither of them have had checking in the time I had them. I still have the LPB strat and I play it a couple times a week and it still looks new. BUT, to play devils advocate, it is custom color over custom color, so it could be a little thicker and durable.

(lpb over custard yellow for those interested)

ladave likes this.
  16. Neel

Neel TDPRI Member

I had MJT to relic and make a tele for me. For the price I wasn't satisfied. In all honesty, for several more hundred dollars, I could have bought a used CS Fender and actually had something. The resale one these usually aren't very good like from Fender CS. That's just my opinion. I have had both and sold the MJT tele. I'd keep your eyes open for a CS guitar. If your planning on keeping it you will be a lot happier.

17. dylanfan424

dylanfan424 Tele-Meister

This is what I’ve found over the years too. If you’re looking at doing a high end partscaster you may as well look at used custom shop and boutique builds because by the time it’s all over you’ll be in that ballpark money wise. Also selling a partscaster is almost next to impossible and definitely is always at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregj1964 and Fretting out like this.
  18. Fretting out

Exactly, I always warn about this, if you’re a person that has to use the best of everything you’ll end up spending as much as a new fender will cost
    I put my jazzmaster together a few years ago, I decided that I might save money if I put it together over a couple of months, I ended up using premium parts and that backfired
    Once I tallied everything up I could have gotten a new A.V
    I’m not saying don’t do it as I love my jazzmaster, just make sure you know what you’re expectations are and if resale is important definitely don’t do it

I’m sure there’s a couple members here that have done the same thing

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I sunk $1800 into my only partscaster, a Strat with MJT body, and a MIM neck with a stainless fret job. Fralins, and (everyone forgets this) I included the cost of a G&G case, because I like my guitars in hard cases.

Nice guitar, but no way, never again.

But that was with someone else doing nearly all the work, because I didnt' know how. Now I do.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

This is the only MJT body I've owned. Loved the color and "wear', but the big spots between the strap button and output jack were large flakes that came off.

[​IMG]

Pat. Pend., Chris H. and Crozius like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.