Mixol white and poly?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by ndcaster, Mar 29, 2020.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

In the archives, it seems people have used Transtint products to tint polyurethane, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever used Mixol instead.

I have a milk-painted body that is too pink. I'd like to try putting a layer of matte poly on top of it, mixed with Mixol white to make it translucent. This might put me in the "shell pink" territory I'm going for.

Is there any reason not to think this will work?

2. PapaWheelie

PapaWheelie Tele-Meister

I'd definitely test it somewhere else first. Maybe even a small area under the pickguard. It may work but I'd be concerned that the white(ish) tint top coat may appear to just lay on top.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm grateful for that, papa. I would definitely test it. I've put a blonde finish with Mixol white and platina shellac on an ash body. It worked well. I'm just looking at spring weather and thinking hmm, what can I do about this rose-pink body that is way too rose-pink for what I was going after. Platina shellac and white Mixol might give me the very pale coral (aged shell pink) that I'm going for.

I'll post results, in case anyone is interested.

4. PapaWheelie

PapaWheelie Tele-Meister

I'm not familiar with milk paint but picture it as a latex or water based paint used on cabinets and such. Is that correct or am I totally off?
    If it is water based I'd just sand it off and paint it the color I wanted, It should be easy to remove unless there's a poly topcoat.

But I'd like to see results when your done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.