1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

mixing oxblood (can it be done?)

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by fenderchamp, Aug 4, 2020.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a pine body, I'd like to paint it oxblood.

I have some behlen's/mowhawk sanding sealer and I have some behlen's clear. and i have some prevals.

I have some white and some yellow mixol, and I've ordered some black, brown and red mixol too, and some metallic copper.

I can buy more stuff if I have too.

I know I can buy a can of reranch oxblood..but I'd like to learn about how to color lacquer, and I see some hints and suggestions about it on here, but not really a definitive thread. And i don't have some color I want to computer match to. I just want an nearly blackish burgandyish color.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

I've done it. Oxblood is one of my favorite colors on a guitar. I've only done it once so don't consider me an expert, but here's how I did it:

Mix up a completely opaque red, then a few drops of blue, adding one or two at a time and mixing thoroughly. Not to make it purple, but to give the red some depth and complexity. Unless I'm going for a bright pure tone, I'll always add just a touch of a complementary color for depth. Once the black is added, the blue will have helped the color move from dark red to a burgundy.

Then start adding black one drop at a time and mixing thoroughly. The black pigment will turn it dark really quickly, so be slow and deliberate. Before it gets too dark, start spraying it on some scrap. It'll look a lot different (usually lighter) on a surface than it does in the bottle.

I wouldn't mess with the brown or copper. That depends on your oxblood preference but to me the brown would just turn it...well, brown. Not sure what the copper would do. I've been intrigued by the Mixol copper myself since SM started carrying it but I can't see how it would contribute to an oxblood.

Good luck. Mixing colors is fun.

fenderchamp likes this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Will mixol red and a clear base result in an opaque red?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  4. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Yes, you just have to use a lot more to get an opaque color. I've never used Mixol myself but I've read reviews that say it works best if dissolved thoroughly in a solvent before adding it to your lacquer. You might have to strain it too.

fenderchamp likes this.
  5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I you have a pre-mixed white or pastel-base to start with, then you'll wind up adding a lot less Mixol red in order to get it to cover. Think about what they do for custom mixes at the house paint store - the base is already opaque white and they just add a few drops and squirts of colorant to it.

The grain will probably print through as a texture no matter how much you seal it (that could just be my bad experience with pine talking) so I'd be tempted to go with a translucent finish to let some of the wood show through - and that's easier since you need less white to make it opaque if that makes any sense.

fenderchamp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.