Mixing Control Surface Stand/Enclosure Idea

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up a fader expansion for the X-Touch, and I was thinking about doing a built-in kind of look for the two units that looks something like this:

X-touch-Lux-EXT-R-mixingtable-1024x831.jpg

That unit is absolutely sharp looking, but I don't really feel like spending 375+40 Euro for shipping. I figure I can reverse engineer from this and other images, and build my own version for under $100.

x-touch-lux-by-mixingtable1.jpg x-touch-lux-by-mixingtable2.jpg x-touch-lux-by-mixingtable3.jpg

I am thinking of engineering it to be expandable/modular in the event I add another fader expansion or two at some point so that I can build around the main unit either to the right or left. The only thing that would need to be remade would be the wrist rest to stretch across any additional units.

Any additional thoughts or ideas are welcome!

ukepicker, 24 track and simoncroft like this.
  2. Chud

Actually, I just checked the home lumber supply, and I have more than enough great looking early 1900's roofing pine I already milled that's left over from my desk build that should work perfectly for this. The whole unit should only cost me the price of some threaded inserts and necessary bolts/screws, some vinyl and memory foam for the wrist rest, and my time/effort.

3. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Like your thinking! Anyone with a 'home lumber supply' has the skills to make a nice console for the two units, I'm sure. €405 for something that doesn't make your studio work or sound any better is a big ask.

Hope you'll post pictures when it's finished.

Chud and 24 track like this.
  4. Chud

This DIY enclosure is pretty crappy looking, but shows an option with the two units joined versus separated.

[​IMG]

I’m thinking I dig the more modular look still, but a nicer build might sway me that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simoncroft likes this.
  5. Chud

The extender arrived this weekend and I’ve gotten it all set up in both Cubase and Logic. Cubase treats multiple controllers a little wonky, but Logic recognizes and automatically cascades them in the order they are turned on. Really freaking cool.

[​IMG]

Without interior trim

[​IMG]

I’ve decided to use some red oak hardwood scraps from a recent stair tread refurb instead of the 100 year old roofing pine. I’ll save that for another day. Lol.

IMG_2815.JPG

The stairs just have 3 coats of poly, no stain. I’ll probably go with a walnut or darker oak stain on this with poly top.

I’ve started mapping out the build and will post up pics of the process and results.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. Chud

I got out this morning to get the first cuts made on the main exterior and interior supports. The stair scraps are all slightly different sizes due to our 100 year old stairs all being slightly different sizes, but I was able to match up pieces for the three main left, center, and right supports pretty well. The interior supports are going to be further cut down and won't be visible anyway, but they're pretty close for rough cuts.

The X-Touch currently sits a bit too flat to really read the scribble strips well, so based on other builds I elevated the back about 15deg.

IMG_2817 2.JPG IMG_2818.JPG

Given that the stair scraps are shorter than the depth of the unit, I am maximizing the use of the wood by using the cutoff piece to join and extend out about 2" to make the wrist rest.

IMG_2823.JPG

Cut down to match the 3 LCR and 4 interior supports. One of the small scraps from the cutoff got partially whacked by the miter saw, so I'll recut that one. Lol

IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2827.JPG

Doing some quick test fitting with both units

IMG_2830.JPG IMG_2831.JPG IMG_2832.JPG IMG_2833 2.JPG

Next step will be gluing up each support, then temporarily making them all one big wide support to sand uniformly. After that, I'll start on some routing/drilling that will allow the screws on each side of the X-Touch units to sit below flush with the supports. Once I get the fine fits done I'll work on front face support and drilling out for dowels and threaded inserts.

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Looks really good so far !

simoncroft, Chud and 24 track like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

its not that hard to do with a little for thought like i did with my console

IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0020.JPG

fnkmstr, simoncroft and Chud like this.
  9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

why do you have speakers? with all those screens you should be able to see the sound.....

10. Chud

Would have gotten further today had it not been for a brain fart. I thought my train to DC was at 6:02pm, but it was actually at 4:02pm. Good thing I checked my ticket. Lol

I think this will look nice. It will be a bit simpler than the super duper expensive one, but still very nice.

24 track likes this.
  11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

i would have split the difference and shown up at noon....

24 track likes this.
  12. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

That is really cool and really sensible

Mine is not sensible or practical - Im dropping my stuff in an old SSL 5000 mainframe I bought flatpack and built into rack bays with MDF for $100 off ebay (mind you the courier cost me $500 to get it a couple of hundred miles back to london - be good when its finished but will be a while, but I am doing it because I can.

IMG_1324.jpg

RodeoTex, studio, simoncroft and 2 others like this.
  13. Chud

That’s going to be really cool, thanks for sharing your project!

24 track and simoncroft like this.
  14. 24 track

I can also smell it as well, LOL(sometimes what I write stinks)

nice work Chud that will look great

Nice console ! is it an argosy frame?

15. 24 track

I did some thing similar with the Korg Kaosillator pro and the KP3 some one on Ebay wanted 70.00+ dollars for a small rack to fit one unit on so I built mine with a piece of scrap from another project but once I built it I decided to elevate it another inch so I used some cork feet ( from a fine bottle of wine I might add or two) and this was the result

the fancy midi cable hanging off the back is from a company called RETROKITS from holland it is a totally programable cable that allows me to access all of the sounds from the korg units and use an external keyboard or other midi controller to play it making the korg units a synthesizer ( some great sounds in there as well)

when I did the console I had an interesting time with the side panels for the behringer fader banks and the rotary units , did you have much of an issue with X32 units?

P1012247.JPG P1012248.JPG P1012251.JPG

simoncroft and studio like this.
  16. knockeduptele

This is actually a genuine SSL5000E frame - I picked up 6 side cheek profiles and a set of legs and some of the frame bearers for not very much money. I then used 19mm MDF to build out a a pair of 19" bays and a centre section to accommodate the monitor so its built in.

Did the same thing back in the 80's when I had a studio with an old Neve frame to build a mastering console.

Totally impractical for home use (but will look nice in my new loft conversion music room if I can make the floor joists strong enough), not quite sure what I am going to populate it with, but with a pair of NS10s on top some 1176s and Pultecs in the bays as a starting point that I have had in storage for the last 30 yrs, it will be nice to put my feet up on, drink beer and listen to tunes.

I might even record something but who knows .............

simoncroft and 24 track like this.
  17. 24 track

very nice I built mine by hand but I wanted an argosy , you will probably have no issues loading that up very nice acquisition (I'm envious) I originally had a pair of NS10M's and as the idiot I am I sold them now I have a pair of YSM8's (yorkville powered monitors) very clean sounding and warm

simoncroft likes this.
  18. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I totally get why you would want to do that. As soon as I saw that SSL frame, I thought: "Wow! I'd like something like that." Then I remembered the major problem in my music room is lack of space. :(

Good luck even getting that console into your loft conversion. In our house, getting a bed up the tight stairs is a major logistical challenge. The reality for me is SSL is a name on a few Waves plugins now. :twisted:

24 track likes this.
  19. knockeduptele

Ah it will have to come apart and be rebuilt in situ but in reality its just a bunch of wood screws holding it together and will just be rebuilt with longer ones.

A total madness project and done on a whim. Chud who's thead this is has a much better and far more practical idea for modern living

But the bit i miss with all this PC/Mac stuff is leaning back in your chair with your feet up on the fader tray and cranking it

fnkmstr, simoncroft and 24 track like this.
  20. 24 track

Same with mine it all dissmantles with a few wood screws and is completely modular very easy to take apart and reassemble no magic there

the hardest part was designing the ability to fly the Imac and design a vesa mount for it

P2021540.JPG P2021539.JPG P2021538.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.