1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mixer fader failure. Can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Obsessed, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Setting up for a big gig coming into town and our mixer (Allen&Heath 14x) has developed a right channel main fader intermittent issue. I can get it to work, but seems like I should be able to pull it apart and clean it or something to keep it alive one more time. Our old back-up (cheap ass Behringer) doesn't have enough channels for this group. We used the back-up for a preliminary sound check (very complex set-up) using some splitters and we are not sure if we can get a new one in soon enough. Any help would be very appreciative.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

With pot cleaner on a q-tip you should be able to clean the tracks eIther side of the fader.

You can also chain the mixers by running say your drums into small mixer and running it's outputs into a channel/s on your main mixer. Pan everything over to one channel and feed that into a strip.

TeleTucson and Obsessed like this.
  3. Obsessed

Okay, I'll try the q-tip idea. I have some spray cleaner that I use for contacts.
    Never thought about daisy chaining the mixers. Makes sense and good idea. Thanks a bunch.

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Check the contacts on the insert if there is one and the headphone jacks too.

cheers,
    Geoff

5. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Worst case scenario, if cleaning doesn't cut it, get the part # from Allen & Heath and order a replacement from Full Compass Audio. I recently had to replace a channel strip in the mixer our band uses (an A&H ZED 16FX.)

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Deoxit it!

7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

If it is a Penny & Giles fader (featuring a conductive plastic element), the prescribed method is to warm up a pot of water to just below boiling and dunk the fader in the water. Blow it out with compressed air and let it dry well. That from the head of engineering himself. I had a Neve with a intermittent quad master fader and they suggested the treatment and cautioned against electronic cleaners.

Bob

8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I am totally assuming this is for a live gig and not recording......

Well from my perspective, for live sound
    why don't you run everything mono off of the left channel?

Problem solved until you get your fader issue resolved.

Running mono live is the pro way to go anyway.
    After 15 ft of speaker separation, there is no such thing as stereo.
    Mono is the way of professionals.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Obsessed

That is exactly what we did for the sound check. We got another mixer board in time for the performance, but I have decided to take this one apart and fix it for our "new" back up.

Super thanks for everyone's help. Special shouts out to @Bob Womack and @archiemax for their very specific information that should insure that I can fix this mixer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.