Mix feedback on another of my songs

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by popthree, Nov 29, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

anyone up for it, i'm looking for feedback on the mix for this song. wondering about EQ and separation of the parts in their sonic space, that type of thing, any other constructive criticism welcome. thank you!

https://m.soundcloud.com/bonanzalunchbox/gone-too-far

2. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

I dig the song. This is just my personal taste, but I like some kind of reverb on the vocals.

3. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

It's got some dynamics that I like, but it's got a repetitive vibe. But I listened on laptop speakers and then on headphones. Just in terms of recording-

the quality is pretty good, I'd be happy with a result like that. Like the keyboard pads. Guitar sound is good.

Agree with Marquee Moon- a little treatment on the vocals:

Option 1) compress and play with Eq- maybe cut the lows with a high pass filter with a peak- try sliding it around between 200-500hz. and put a little plus eq in the mids. It gets a little lost with the guitar sometimes. I'm always surprised at how much eq on two instruments competing can get it sorted. You can also try eq on the guitars.

Option 2) Reverb on the vocals- you can try all kinds of sorcery here. Dry signal right, wet left. Blends. If you have two tracks of vocals- one reverbed, one dry, both slightly reverbed. Short reverb times sound better to me- when you have multiple tracks.

Don't go crazy- it's close already.

TokyoPortrait and popthree like this.
  4. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

Nice song and performance. I would agree with Marquee Moon and erratick that some reverb on the vocals would be good. My own personal taste is to warm things up (maybe too much sometimes) and I think a little reverb would achieve that. Perhaps a bass line to compliment the guitar. I like the guitar sound.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Cool! I agree with the others. The way I would describe it though is that the vocals are too loud and in your face. I'd bring them down a little as well. I would guess the reverb would take them "back into the mix" a little.

6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I like this song.

I basically agree with Erratick & Flat6Driver (which basically means with everyone). I'd pull the vocals down a tad. But first, I'd add some reverb to them (not just for thickness and warmth, it also might be used to draw them back just a little). Might not take much, but something would help. Also, I'd compress the vocals just a little - not to squash them, just to slightly reign in the occasional peaks and troughs. I'd probably start with just a 1 - 2dB reduction to see what happens, and if I thought it needed more I'd add a second compressor plugin, rather than dialling up the first one. Small steps, because as noted, it's close.

Pax/
    Dean

erratick likes this.
  7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

First thing that caught my attention was the wimpy sounding
    snare drum hit. For a song that has a bigger than life meaning,
    maybe the snare should drive home the intensity of the lyrics.

Maybe add a sampled punch to that snare.

Then get some low end growl to the bass notes.
    Possibly record it with a Rickenbacher for that kind of sound.

Everything else can stay the same.

Your vocals fit the crime. Good job!

Mjark likes this.
  8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Everything is clear and clean. I don't like the panning I'd bring the vocal closer to the center. I agree on the snare. Kick could be a little more up too. Vocal is overpowering everything. Guitar is also very dry. Outro was a little long.

9. studio

Yup.

10. popthree

11. studio

Mike, dude......besides the super long intro....that was awesome
    even though it sounded the same. What did you fix?

Why don't you play it and record it with a band?

What, you need a stunt wife? Lol.

popthree likes this.
  12. popthree

Haha, stunt wife was supposed to be the theme song for a short film a buddy of mine was making. Unfortunately, he never finished the project.

I resurrected my old soundclick site due to changes with soundcloud so a bunch of old projects are out there.

Changes for Gone Too Far... I dialed up the heat on that snare. I added snare hits to the outtro. I dropped the vol on the vocal 2db. I increased the room on the vocal reverb from '54 to 55'. Very small changes.

The Super long intro is an idea I'm trying out. Phrases similar to that would live in the spaces between the songs on my home brew album.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.