1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mitchell Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by andrewnelles, Dec 26, 2011.

1. andrewnelles

andrewnelles Tele-Meister

Got a Mitchell cabinet for free. Anybody know anything about there? Any idea what speakers these are?

It's a 4x12 Marshall style, top 2 speakers are on an angle.

Any info would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andrewnelles

Bump, in case anyone knows anything...

3. andrewnelles

Sorry to revive an old thread, still trying to find info on these speakers.

I've figured out the 67-8032 indicates there were made by Eminence in the 32nd week of 1980. That's all I know.

4. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

I've been using a closed back 2 12 Mitchell cab as my secret weapon when recording with a Marshall head for the last 14 years. Never even opened it up to see what mojo was going on inside. Just sounds great so I use it. I purchased it with a Mitchell tube head second hand back in the 80's. Mitchell stuff turns up from time to time in the bay area. Not much information on it.

Attached Files:

• MIT.jpg
      MIT.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
  5. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

The speakers are found in a lot of amps/cabinets from the time period. They were used in a lot of Peaveys. Run of the mill speakers. They are pretty much a clone of earlier CTS speakers that morphed into Eminence. Decent speakers, but nothing to get excited about.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I know Stephen Stills used a couple of Mitchell 4 x 12" cabs with his Marshall heads in the '70's. A friend had a Mitchell bass combo amp with a 15" in it. It died and we couldn't get a schematic, so we used it as an extension cabinet for our bass player. I've seen some of their stage monitors with JBL's in them. That's all I got.

7. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Back in the late 80's a friend of mine had one of these, Mitchell sand amp, heavy and sounded pretty good for bass:
    mitchell_amp.jpg

8. andrewnelles

Thanks guys!

9. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee NEW MEMBER!

I had one.

Back in the 70's there was a small "Sound and Guitar" shop in Riverside California owned by a guy named Tommy Mitchell. He and his slightly younger brother (whose name I don't remember) started the Mitchell Speaker company out of that shop. His design concept was to block off the top and bottom corners of the back on the inside and fill them with sand creating a sort of C shaped cabinet if you visualize it from the side. The resulting cabinets were very heavy because of this, and the fact that he used up to one inch thick wood to build the cabinets.
    My first Mitchell cabinet was a small 2-12 cabinet almost identical to the one pictured above, but it was a cabinet only, no amp electronics, and I had JBL speakers in it. I powered mine with a Peavey 240 Standard head (which I also bought from Tommy), and I could hang with ANY sound system at any volume with that set up.
    I changed bands and went to Bass, so I traded that cabinet back to Tommy for a Single speaker bass cabinet with a rear firing 18 inch Altec-Lansing speaker. It was about 40 inches tall and square like a refrigerator but instead of sand packed in the corners the rear top and bottom corners were angled and the top cutaway had a handle while the bottom one had two wheels so you could lean it back and roll it away.
    Somehow I let that cabinet get away from me too, I don't remember how.
    Side note, I bought my 1976 Telecaster Deluxe from Tommy at that shop for $325.00, in 1976, and I still have it today. Although it has been stolen and recovered four times. I think my family is going to bury it with me.
    Another side note, I met the Doobie Brothers in his shop once, good times!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I remember seeing Mitchell PA cabinets in the 70s and later on they made some Mesa Boogie knock off amps, still occasionally see some of those, heard that MB sued them over that.
    Weren't there also some Sand branded cabinets?

11. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee NEW MEMBER!

No help.

I don't know about that.

12. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Speakers are Eminence, I recently got a 15" Eminence with that same type of magnet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.