1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mitchell Acoustics: what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Octorfunk, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I did buy the Motchell yesterday, for $300 out the door. I couldn't be happier honestly, not a single complaint so far. The only test remaining is how it sounds through the PA.

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My last acoustic purchase was an Alvarez AF770CESHB. Acoustic-electric, solid spruce top, and walnut(?) back and sides. Beautiful shadow burst finish, and abalone rosette. Beautiful tone, as has always been my experience with Alvarez guitars. $500 out the door.
    My only gripe would be the battery location, which is mounted to the neck heel inside the guitar. This looks like it would necessitate string removal to access.o_O

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  3. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Not that anyone is taking notice lol, but I did finally get a chance to play this guitar live through a PA this past week, and it sounded as full, warm & balanced as any acoustic I've ever played. ZERO regrets. I didn't think a sub-$800-$1000 acoustic could actually sound great, let a lone a sub-$300.

4. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I bought a younger player a Mitchell dread (solid top) about fifteen years ago. It was the best budget dread at GC in that price range (and they had quite a few other better known brands).

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember going to get a steel string acoustic at my local GC, didn't really have a price point. I played almost everything they had from $4000 and on down, including high-end Martins and Taylors.

The best feeling/sounding guitar I found was a used Ibanez for $80 that was one of those cheap guitars that comes as a kit for like $150. I played the heck out of it for a couple of years. Yes, it was all laminate with a laminate top, but even my friends thought it was a great sounding guitar. Only reason I sold it is because it wasn't A/E. I now have a Seagull S6 Deluxe Mahogany A/E that I got used for $300. At least for me, there doesn't seem to be much correlation between high cost vs great player when it comes to acoustics.

Get what feels good. You like the Mitchell, get the Mitchell.

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Congrats! I do have a couple of cheap acoustics, both Hohner ... an elec.-acousic dreadnaught and a nylon string. Cheap instruments, but playable and sound very good amplified. Got them for outdoor gigs around the Gulf, where it can get very wet and humid. Not every guitar has to be prestigious. Lots of great music has been played and recorded over the years on low-budget instruments.
    The more valuable the instrument, the lees I'm inclined to take it out into questionable surroundings.

7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yeahbut. Martin sticks that X there for a reason.

Their good models are their older models: D18, D28, D35, and D45. And the little guys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.