Misty

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Brett Fuzz, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Man, what a beautiful tune.

I'm trying to learn a few jazz standards.

I have 'Girl From Ipanema' under my belt, but geeze this 'Misty' has me stumped.

Any tips ?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Any specific questions?

Listen to Joe?

3. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Trying to learn by ear, or having problems memorizing? Or just playing melody and harmony together? If you're going off a Realbook lead sheet, you'll have better success playing the melody an octave higher than where it is typically written.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I like Roy's version :

5. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thinking about it, (and to answer to my own Q's), is that it's probably a littlle beyond my current skill level :eek:

I might have a look at some easier tunes to get me going in the jazz standards.

6. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I play it in the key of G, in D Tuning with a bottleneck. Full chords, lots of bar slants and fingers above and behind the slide. Sounds great, but is hard to play. I just did it as a personal challenge. I was fooling around with slants and adding fingers to the bottleneck. I played a chord, and it dawned on me that it was the first chord in Garner's arrangement. Things turned insane after that! Haven't played it in a while. Not sure if I still can! It was stoopid hard! Great song!

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I've always loved Wes Montgomery's version.

Wes plays it in the key of G

8. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Yes, it is hard. So much to memorize.

I'll keep at it though. A personal challenge indeed.

At least it makes other songs I'm learning seem easy.

Thanks for the links & thoughts.

9. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

heh

i learned this on banjo when i was like 14. god bless ray stevens. took me awhile to learn that it was a garner tune.

10. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

Billy Eckstine composed "I Want to Talk About You" over the same chord progression. You can find many versions of that as well, starting from Coltrane

Or even John Scofield

I transcribed a couple of choruses from a live version by John Scofield but never went back to finish it
    If that helps I included tabs and score in the second half of this video

11. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

btw, i didnt mean to be flip with my ray stevens post. like most jazz standards, its really kind of schmaltzy. you can get all iiVmajorminor blahblahblah with it, but it's one of those tunes you can get inside of just by learning the lyrics with cowboy chords or power chords or whatever works for you.

it is indeed a beautiful tune-- i can imagine cowboy junkies doing a killer version. or neil young solo. i would've love to have heard a cover by the sex pistols in their prime. if you can sing it to folks with cowboy chords, you can get all avant or retro bebop later.

http://www.classic-country-song-lyrics.com/mistylyricschords.html

12. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

As someone who tested negative for jazz at an early age, "Misty" was one of the first standards that I ever connected to on guitar. Essentially, playing an Eb ma7 at the 6the fret, the first 3 noted of the melody are in the arpeggio going down from the high string. Those 3 "look at me" notes were a big step towards breaking down my jazz walls.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Is the challenge the chords or the melody?

Harmony-wise, Misty doesn't wander far from its home key. Learning the rudiments of theory (ii-V-I's, circle of fifths, turnarounds) will make everything in Misty fall into place. It really helps. There's a lot of logic and direction to chord progressions -- they are far from random.

14. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

The challenge is a bit of both. (Chords & melody).

Just seems to be so much going on and hard to retain it all.

I'm getting a little into theory and that circle of fifths.

Guess I'll just keep chipping away in small chunks.

Thanks for the tips.

Gotta remember, I'm coming at this from my basic power chords, smoke on the water and some cowboy chords !:):eek:

15. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Misty is a great example of how I'll reduce a set of seemingly complicated changes to practically just some type of I IV and V prog.
    Keep in mind that as is typical with jazz standards, these main chords/key centers are usually preceded by by a V or ii V or subs for ii and V - don't worry about that when you're trying to memorize the form.

Verse ... I to IV to IV to I *The thing in Misty, to me, is that it's always moving towards IV.
    Bridge ... a ii V into IV then up a half step minor (that's the only 'different part') then back to I (via iii VI ii V).

Check this bone simple chart ... http://www.ralphpatt.com/VB/m6.html

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  16. Space Pickle

Space Pickle Tele-Meister

this song is a good song

17. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just learn the basic chord forms & start with those. Get those down, take your time. They aren't that hard if you work at it a bit. Forget about the passage from chord to chord until you've got the basic bit down. Then start tying it together. You don't need to include every passage the classics have; just start with a couple connecting notes/partials between the basic structure.

If you do it this way you'll see there are really not many chord forms in the basic melody, but a lot of passing stuff you can build to + create your own passages.

It is a truly great song that I had to learn a couple years ago. Just picked it up again & can't remember the ending but enough instilled still to build upon once again.

18. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks Stubee,

That is great encouragement and strikes a chord !

Cheers!:)

19. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

20. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

Brett,

Get yourself a Real Book so you''ll have the changes these tunes. Learn the chord changes, melody, and then learn to outline the changes with scales and arpeggios.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.