1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Misterious Classic Vibe 50s white blonde

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Nakkeru, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Nakkeru

Nakkeru TDPRI Member

Hi! First post here (although I've been lurking for a long time).

I'm interested in buying a used Classic Vibe Telecaster 50s in White Blonde, but I'm a bit confused by it.

The Serial Number is CGS0502483, which indicates that it's from 2005. As far as I know, Classic Vibes where introduced in 2008.

Second, the finish is not semi-transparent like the other Crafted in China CVs that I've seen. If anything, solid finish seems to be part of the new Indonesian ones.

And last, the neck pickup has two screws mounted on the pickguard. Now, I'm not sure if this is weird or not. A quick Google Image search seems to point that both with and without them are "normal". But I could be wrong.

Also, according to the seller, the shop he bough it from in 2009 had it in display with a bridge cover, and I've never seen anybody with a CV with that.

I'm attaching some photos of the guitar.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Just by looking at the body it may be a Partscaster with a CV neck.

Maybe the neck is from 2015, not 2005, but that wouldnt make sense if the person selling it is claiming they bought it in 2009! The neck does look like a legit CV neck.

3. Nakkeru

Nakkeru TDPRI Member

OK, the serial number is actually CGS0904431. The photo was blurry but the seller told me the number.

4. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I have a mint (almost unplayed) one I might be selling. It’s the white one, made in China. I should be getting a guitar delivered today (tele, model 8502) and if wanna keep it I’m gonna need to sell a couple of things. You can message me for more info if you’d like.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. Nakkeru

Nakkeru TDPRI Member

... What? I don't get this message mate. I'm asking about a specific guitar, I'm not looking to buy another one.

TeleTucson likes this.
  6. Martian

My mistake. I thought you were looking to buy that model but didn’t like the one you saw. I might have had one to sell. That’s all

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge TDPRI Member

The screws show the pick-up is mounted direct to the pick-guard,
    no screws pick-up mounted to the body. The bridge cover is a "clip on" unit, no screws. Not sure if CV's ever had them stock, but a nice bonus anyway, should be brass saddles under.
    I have a late model the same, think the '09 would be great.

cheers

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

odd I ran the serial number
    upload_2020-10-3_21-19-30.png

9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

You could ask for a picture of the bridge and if the seller is amenable the stickers on the pickups. But if the price is good with the case it's more than likely legit.

10. Nakkeru

Nakkeru TDPRI Member

Is there a way to know if the pickups are the correct ones?
    To be fair I like the non-see thru color better, I just want to make sure I'm buying what it's supposed to be.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I'd bet money that's a partscaster. I really don't think that is a CV body unless it has been refinished. I have an early 50s blonde pine body and have looked at an awful lot of them over the years. Never seen one that wasn't transparent enough to see the wood grain.

May be a nice guitar but I wouldn't pay CV price for it. I'd also want to confirm pickups

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Fake! The Chinese ones from 2009 didn't have screws on the pickguard for the neck pickup. Only the newer line from the last two years have them.
    CV50-Tele-030-3025-507-Bridge.jpg 0374030501_gtr_frtbdydtl_001_nr.jpg

13. Nakkeru

Nakkeru TDPRI Member

Thanks for the answers. I'm pretty sure it's a fake. The seller also insisted in the fact that CVs are only assembled in China with American manufactured parts (which is simply not true).

radiocaster and guitarist232345 like this.
  14. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

100% a partscaster listed as a CV.

FAKE

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure too, which might make @Martian's offer more interesting (or not, given shipping costs). Not sure I get why you flamed him BTW: he was only trying to be of help.

Martian likes this.
  16. Nakkeru

Nakkeru TDPRI Member

I want to apologize to @Martian if I sounded rude, it wasn't my intention. I'm interested in other guitars in my local area so if the one that seems fake is indeed fake then I'd look for something else around here. Which I'm already doing.

The guy selling this guitar has had the ad taken down my the admins of the Spanish forum it was posted in. He's been a mess at trying to demonstrate that the guitar is authentic by sending screenshots of an online store that according to him say the guitar is made in China (but looks Indonesian) and that they were assembled but not built in China but had American parts. The guy must not be very good with technology because I could see the URL of that screenshot, went to that store and it's simple an Indonesian CV and in no place ot states that is from 2009 nor the American part thing.

I wonder what's the intent, I mean, it's not like he'd make a lot of money out of it anyway... it's till an affordable guitar, and the selling price was average for a Chinese CV.

Martian and RadioFM74 like this.
  17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Alas, people will do CRAZY stuff although you're right that going at such lengths for an (alleged) MIC Squire is almost beyond belief… You did well to post here. My routine is to check the serial here: https://start.fender.com. Then if serial computes take a look at detailed pics, compare with specs, and in doubt ask here. I've been pretty active buying and selling guitars these last years, and I've dodged at least three fakes (one of which was about to get me… it was the slightly wrong color of pickup covers that saved me). In one case TDPRI cleared a guitar that I had ruled "fake", and which has become my beloved '52.

Martian likes this.
  18. bigtuna61

bigtuna61 TDPRI Member

Looks to be a parts caster as well, the vintage wht. Body would have a somewhat transparent vintage white color paint should be able to see woodgrain streaking underneath the color. Guitar you are looking at looks to be a solid color non transparent. Not of classic vibe material. And should be priced considerably less than a good used classic vibe
    . just my $.02

19. Martian

Thank you, RadioFM, much appreciated. And I agree with you both that it doesn’t make sense for them to go through the trouble here. Weird. That said, I hope you end up finding the guitar you want, Nakkeru; those China made cv teles are unbeatable for the money.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.