Mississippi John Hurt movie- incoming.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
On the weekend in Jan 1969 that I finally got a guitar the BBC showed the second episode of the second series of John Pearce's tutorials Hold Down a Chord.
hold-down-a-chord-book-2-finger-picking-folk-guitar-styles-a-bbc.jpg
He taught Mississippi John Hurt's My Creole Belle and I knew at once the direction I wanted my playing to go in. 53 years on and I'm still trying to capture his deceptive simplicity. Thanks for the post - I'll be watching for this.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Cool!

Trailer doesn't reveal much but I'm in!

My very first guitar lesson I told the instructor i want to play Mississippi John Hurt "Candyman"! A buddy had "Blues at Newport" and I'd play Candyman every chance I got! Best version of it I've heard!

Found it!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have a live record of MJH and Doc & Merle Watson, both double albums that I have worn them out. MJH taught Merle Watson how to play. Merle claims that as a little boy, his dad and John were on the same folk circuit and that MJH always had time for him and taught him to play.

I love his voice as much as his playing and his goodness always shone through. I look forward to the movie!

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I love his voice as much as his playing and his goodness always shone through. I look forward to the movie!
That’s the thing-he seemed to be a good guy too. And what a Cinderella story of a career…cut a few sides then forgotten for 30 or so years before being rediscovered. John was a tough ole son-of-a-gun too. I think it was Tom Paxton (?) who told the story of some guys challenging John to an arm wrestling contest after a few drinks. John put them all down easily despite being 20 years older.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
I saw John Sebastian 1 time. He told this story about MJH from when he opened for him. MJH had a coffee mug on the table next to him onstage. He told the crowd, “I love my Maxwell House coffee because it’s good to the last drop.” The coffee mug was full of gin.