1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mismatched color on 50s American original Tele!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Feb 14, 2018.

1. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Seriously though, it's like going to a restaurant and being upset that EVERY dish on the menu doesn't appeal to you

2. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Nah, it's more like going to your favorite pizza joint and finding out they only make hamburgers now

boris bubbanov and gobi_grey like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The white neck has always been a deal killer for me, even when I considered a Squier, but on a high dollar model? Crazy. I assume that we old farts are the target market for these, so obviously someone at Fender is out of touch.

Nevertheless, regardless of the neck finish, a flat slab body and bolt on neck for over $1K seems crazy to me anyway.

hellopike likes this.
  4. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've got a crazy idea: Fender should make a telecaster with a white-blonde body under a clear nitro coat that will yellow as it ages...

Nah, it'd never work!

5. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

I do get what's being said about the color contrast but let's take a step back here. Being that these guitars were originally produced in the 50's we have no color photos of what these guitars looked like brand new. Logic would dictate that Leo didn't tint the necks of these guitars to look aged so they too probably looked very white when brand new.

Also, I get that many folks are fans of the vintage specs and are upset with the new changes. That said there are many pros out there playing vintage guitars but they've been updated with larger frets and modern wiring. I believe both Jim Campilongo and Jim Weider have 6100 or jumbo frets on their guitars as well as beautiful sounding neck pickups thanks to modern wiring. Also, after a few refrets I bet a lot of necks are closer to 9.5.

For me personally I couldn't play the AV models as vintage specs cramps my hand. I had a sweet looking and sounding 50's Classic Tele that nearly gave me carpal tunnel. Sold the guitar and let my hand repair itself-took 9 months and all was well. So no, I'm not a fan of vintage specs.

At first I was excited about the AO series but sadly I've yet to see one that has given me GAS. Maybe in time they'll offer some different colors but for now I'll pass.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Many folks don't like a tinted neck - personally I've always hated a 'whitish' neck - never owned one and never plan to. I'll take my tinted Squier CV necks any day.

Below is the neck of my 2014 60th Annv 1954 Strat - any whiter and I'd not own her...

20180214_103542.jpg

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  7. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any problem with it either way.

Ebidis and Piggy Stu like this.
  8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

So out of touch? I wouldn't say so. Just because it doesn't appeal to YOU doesn't mean that applies to everyone. I get the idea behind the AO line, they aren't vintage replicas, they're simply styled as if those 1950s telecasters came out today with more modern features that players look for. I like them for one, I much prefer the modern telecaster over vintage specs. I don't want a tinted neck.

I don't think fender is stupid, they see what sells and what doesn't. They get the feedback from players and adjust accordingly. They have the analytics. I'm glad to see a refresh across the line. And you said you already bought TWO AVRI teles, so what's the issue here?

Edit:
    I'm sorry, I shouldn't be hijacking your thread or being so confrontational. You have every right to voice your opinion and I don't need to be here countering or defending a large company like Fender. Happy fretting and happy Valentine's day!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Piggy Stu likes this.
  9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Next year they'll offer a candy apple red version but only it'll be green because no one likes red guitars.

Nubs likes this.
  10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I could see how that would drive me crazy, and I would dream about a flamed/figured maple with that body, if it's gotta be maple.

I could probably live with the neck stock bleached look, but not the fretboard.

Hell, my Thinlne is more Amber than that.

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I do.

The audience stares at my guitar instead of listening to my playing.

12. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I so agree. I have a beautiful Warmoth Vintage spec, Maple Boatneck that I bought for a Strat. It's the best neck I've ever had. When I ordered it I went back and forth - clear gloss finish or vintage tint? I went with clear gloss. WRONG! Definitely should have gotten tinted. The neck is so pale it almost looks pinkish at times. Oh well, the damn thing is excellent and it'll darken soon enough. I'm not getting any younger though...let's go!

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Fender know what sells around the world from their stats better than any of us do in our little world

If they think everyone wants antigua burst with an orange neck that is up to them

If they asked me to run Fender I would listen to the people already running sales on what sells. If they told me av doesn't shift any more I would support the sales team

It is a living corporation not a museum to produce duplicate history. Up to them to produce - up to me to buy

14. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Have you seen not the new retro Mustangs, Challengers or Camaros?

Seriously?

Picked up 2017 AV'52 Telecaster last summer. Why? First, I wanted a Telecaster with a fat neck. Second, I like old school stuff but can't afford it. It's frets are anything but vintage. I might have preferred a 9.5" radius but a 7.25 radius wasn't a deal breaker either. Seems like some people love to hate on everything Fender does. Similar to the complaints over the AVRI Pumpkincasters of days gone by. I guess now it's either Squier or CS for some folks...sarc :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  15. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Just as an observation from age and experience.
    1. They make what they make.
    2. What they make now is reflective of what they sell now.
    3. Time machines are not readily available but if they were I am told, from even older individuals that they originals look like this AO combination. The body was butterscotch and the neck pale maple.
    4. This combination changed over time. Just like now.
    5. If you don't buy then don't buy. But the changes were made for a reason. Perhaps the # of requests for 9.5 radius. Same for all the models they are making.
    6. You control what you want and like.
    I recommend that if you like the older AVRI or AV models find one buy it have a NGD and we will celebrate it with you.
    Have a great day.

hellopike, parademe and Piggy Stu like this.
  16. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

They've changed the body finishes on the American Originals too and not for the better. The 50's Tele is the wrong kind of blonde, if you ask me. And the sunbursts are a step back from the far more authentic bursts they had been doing on the AVRI's the last several years.

17. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

This is just testament to the fact the the Tele design is truly brilliant, in that a $200 guitar could, if set up correctly, preform professionally.

Gary

Ebidis and daddyplaysbass like this.
  18. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've never Been a fan of that vintage pumpkin color on a new guitar.
    I'd prefer mine to look like the day it was hanging in the music store, and be more concerned with the physical specs.

hellopike likes this.
  19. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I remember years back when they did a run of CS Nocasters with the pale neck > Pitiful.

20. TheYeti

TheYeti TDPRI Member

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the AO 50's tele images on fenders website. Even the videos I've watched on youtube from various retailers NAMM promos show it looking orange. Wonder what the fender execs were thinking? Now it seems that the squier CV 50s tele, along with the baja and road worn, are the only models with a more common shade of butterscotch blond.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.