1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

minus 40 degrees

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dogmeat, Mar 29, 2021.

1. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

The coldest temperature ever recorded in Canada was −63 °C or −81.4 °F in Snag, Yukon.

I grew up in Whitehorse Yukon 60's thru 70's.

It gets cold there too....

Obsessed and effzee like this.
  2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The Canadians are just laughing at this -40 below talk. I've been to Winnipeg, White Horse, Saskatoon and a bunch of other lovely Canadian towns in the dead of winter. It gets cold up there!
    One night I changed the heater fan in a Kenworth in the parking lot of the Husky truck stop in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, it was minus 40 something. (may have put the minimum number of bolts back in)
    That was my first run to Alaska, stopped in Grand Forks North Dakota, it was windy. It's always windy in Grand Forks! Was really questioning the whole run to Alaska at that point, but that was the worst part of the whole trip.
    Once you hit the Yukon Territories heated bathroom facilities are few and far between. You don't grab reading material and take your sweet time going. You wait till you REALLY gotta go, jump out with your TP and get it done quick.
    Wayside rests? Yeah they got outhouses in the Yukon but the stuff in them is frozen like a stalagmite. Sometimes there's no room for more.
    Good times.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

My BIL has lived in Whitehorse for many years. It is often warmer (relatively speaking) there in the winter than in Winnipeg, as he is oh so ready to point out to us. It’s a Pacific air thing. And don’t sell yourself short, Minnesota—if it’s warmer there than in Winnipeg, it’s by a nearly unmeasurable amount. :D

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone remember the adhesive Frost Shields that we put on our car windows (and windshield)? Mandated by law in Manitoba! (The law is still on the books, with the proviso: “unless the vehicle is otherwise so equipped or constructed as to achieve a like result.”

5. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

We had a nasty cold spell in Northwoods WI this winter to say the least. I remember it struck me that the inside of my refrigerator was 62 degrees warmer than it was outside one day.

6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I will tel you next year. I am moving one year to Estonia

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

New one on me, had to Google it, I'll post the link.
    My mother was born in 1938, lived in Richwood MN, north of Detroit Lakes. Their car was a 1929 Ford Model A with NO HEATER until 1950. (she walked about 2 miles to school) They didn't really go a lot of places but church on Saturday in Callaway they didn't miss. Five kids in that Model A trying not breath on the windows.
    Think I'm roughing it when I drive my old Dodge with no heated seats. Lol

http://westenddumplings.blogspot.co...1937 it became law,December 1st to March 31st.

8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I've seen -40C and I've seen +40C and I don't like either. Still, at least with -40 you can dress for it and you're fine. With +40 you have to hide away in an air conditioned room/car. I like living on the coast where you don't get those temperature extremes.

9. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

It was so cold...
    The words froze in our mouths and we had to wait till spring to find out what everybody was talking about.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

That reminded me of a children's illustrated book. It was full of those kinds of cold jokes.

I spent a few years in the strip of Michigan jutting out into Lake Superior. Minus 20F to 30F was the coldest I remember.
    Weather reporters there never told the 'real feel' or 'wind-chill' temperature as people would have freaked out, but down in the Southern end of Michigan they have reported wind effects for decades so people comparing notes are like 'well that's not so bad we had minus 20F just the other day!'

11. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

-52 is the coldest actual temp I've lived in. -20's are an every year experience in Northern Minnesota, but -40 is still pretty rare.

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bird bath in my yard [note the heater], this past winter. It had a slow leak. :lol::lol::lol:

birdbath4.jpg

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Spent 25 years in Alaska, so I've seen it a few times. :D

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.