minimum ratings for SPDT / DPDT / rotary switches - for use in jose MV clipping circuit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by owlexifry, May 6, 2021.

1. owlexifry

owlexifry TDPRI Member

so i’ve already done the mod.
    it’s currently in place with a SPST switch (basically a power switch) which i suspect is probably overkill for the application...
    [​IMG]

i selected this switch as it seemed like the most substantial option available at the local electronics store, and the ‘mini toggle’ switch options just didn’t seem like they were rated high enough.
    i mean, since this circuit is feeding off the V2 cathode follower, i would expect the switch to see around minimum 200V AC?

so given these figures, i erred on the side of caution and chose a high rated power switch.

yet i see everyone using those red mini toggles that appear to be rated at 250AC 2A / 28VDC ?A ...

is that enough?

what is enough?

the reason i’m asking about this is because i want to replace the SPST switch with a SPDT / DPDT, or a rotary switch so that i can compare / switch between different clipping diodes etc.

the available rotary switches i’m looking at are only rated at 125AC @0.3A / or 350ma
    - is that enough?

what minimum rating switches are people using for these applications?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Could you post a schematic of the circuit you're working with?

3. owlexifry

owlexifry TDPRI Member

here’s an example.
    typical jose MV clipping circuit (amp is a 2204 clone; currently i only have the 20V zeners hooked up)
    B7DA3C36-FCDA-40F6-A298-B37E6D51BA29.jpeg

4. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You only have a few milliamperes (~19mA) at that switch. You should be fine with that rotary switch.

owlexifry and Nickfl like this.
  5. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

The 220nf capacitor blocks the DC voltage from reaching the switch. Any simple mini toggle will be fine for this purpose.

owlexifry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.