Minimalist Pedalboards: How Small Is Yours?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FenderGuy53, Sep 25, 2017.

1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I don't think it gets much more minimal than this. First of all, the whole electric guitar corner of my already small man-cave is really tiny (the acoustic guitar hangs on the opposite wall). I've had bigger amps sitting where that little Vox Aido is, but none better for my small space / low volume needs. And the board doesn't have any actual signal processing on it. Just an A-B switch, running backwards so I can keep both guitars always plugged in and ready to grab, with just the A-B to switch between them. Then into a tuner, then into a looper, with a couple extra foot switches to make working the looper easier. There's still room for a mini-wha if I ever decide to add one. Or, if I ever have an amp that takes pedals better (the Adio has all the effects I need built in but doesn't take pedals out front very well), I might get some sort of OD/distortion pedal just for the purposes of playing gainy leads along with clean rhythm tracks on the looper. But that doesn't feel like a need at this point - I have two pretty nice edge of breakup pre-sets in the Adio (one a bassman, one a 1959 Marshall) that seem to work really well for both lead and rhythm, just backing off the guitar volume a bit to clean up the rhythm parts. So, for now, no processing at all, just routing...

And if I ever change my ways and go semi-pedal crazy, there's a lot more space to be had. I could run the A-B and tuner head to toe and replace the two FS-5U switches with one skinny FS-7 and probably hare room for 3-4 more pedals, more if they're minis... But I don't see that happening...

[​IMG]untitled-1-2 by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]untitled-4-2 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Ok, now I'm done.....until I upgrade 4 of these 7. I have problems:(

1508959137272.jpg

valvestate and Doghouse_Riley like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How do you like the Triverb? Does it daisy-chain well, without adding noise?

4. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I play 60's and 70's RnR with my band. I leave the hard rock-Gibson-Marshall sounds to my bandmate. I represent Fender single coils and blackface tones.

2 pedals - a Bad Monkey and a tuner. Oh, and the onboard reverb and tremelo or drive channel, depending on which amp I'm using.

But mostly it's a clean sound or maybe a bit of tube-soaked bridge pickup rasp.

5. Hedek

Hedek TDPRI Member

Outlaw Effects Iron Horse (tuner/power brick/kill switch) > Dunlop Mini Cry Baby > MXR Micro Flanger > EHX Soul Food (always on) > ProCo RAT > MXR Carbon Copy

Compact, affordable, analog. In a pinch I use distortion as fuzz, flanger as phaser and delay as reverb or chorus. With more money I'd switch the Soul Food for the Wampler Tumnus.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a lot of pedals that I have for the studio if needed but I get most of my best sound with the guitar plugged into my G&K 112 with an ART FX-1 small reverb plugged into the effects loops, that way I can hear the guitar as it should sound and most times that is enough.

P1011830.JPG

But studio application and live are very different beasts and not every thing for all applications need to follow convention , I prefere to record live and dry and manipulate later to taste, but this is not logical for all instances especially if I am looking for a trick voicing like a guitar , played like a guitar but with a piano voicing , for example pianos are not approached the same as a guitar when played, so to play a guitar technique with a different voice has the listener scatching their heads , thinking WTF how did they do that, this is just an example .

but I always start with the very minimalistc basics

P1011742.JPG

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

image.jpeg

8. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

for many years i used a jcm900 and a boss super overdrive and thats it.
    now im using this board....i have the reverb on there because i dont like the reverb unit on my ac30, and my ac4 doesnt have reverb.
    i dont really need the chorus, but i had it lying around so i put it on there.
    the wah i rarely use, but i like to have it if i feel like using a wah.
    the overdrive and tuner are mandatory in my opinion.
    if i want to screw with effects, i have a pod hd500x. i like to run it into the power section of a spiderIII 30 and use it for practice in the jam room at low volumes.
    pedlboard-1.jpg

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mine's pretty minimalist. I run into a Tone City Comp Engine followed by a TC Electronic Spark Boost followed by a Joyo D-Seed delay followed by a Suhr Jack Rabbit tremolo followed by a Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb followed by a Hot One Wally Looper. This covers everything I need for worship at church, jazz, country and rockabilly at home, spaghetti western and ambient at home as well as songwriting and practice. The plan is, early next year, to replace the Wally with a Ditto X4 so I can do A and B sections and alternate between them.

1513274285483.jpg

Random1643 and wannabeatle like this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Nice and simple bcb60
    No sticky messes.

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  11. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

IMG_20171110_214213.jpg I find with a clip on tuner and tremolo in my amp, this is pretty much all I need.

Random1643 likes this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Somebody just liked my previous post and reminded me of this thread. Mine grew in the past couple months, so I felt obligated to update this, even if it's only minimalist relatively speaking anymore. First off, I decided I hate velcro and pedal boards without holes or slots and room underneath for wires and cables. So I lost the bone and got one of these - not sure what it's called, but it was one of a zillion on Amazon, and the right size and and price too.

[​IMG]untitled-1-5 by Ray, on Flickr

Then instead of using velcro, I used this stuff called Dual Lock which is a whole lot more user friendly than velcro, and stronger too. I can turn the board over and shake it and nothing comes loose - not that you need to but the little pedals are more secure and stable when you stomp on 'em too. Then I replaced my two FS-5U footswitches for the looper with one much smaller FS-7. But I've gone basic with my amp, losing the built in effects and adding an OD, Delay, and Reverb here. And a power supply to neaten the whole thing up. And all of the wires and connectors live underneath the board... There's room for a mini-wha if I ever decided to add one. I'm not too into modulation effects, so I may play around with different OD pedals from time to time, but I doubt I'll add much more. When my amp had built in effects I basically just used OD, delay, and reverb so that's what I've got here. All in front of the looper obviously.

Different guitar and amp combination as well:

[​IMG]untitled-1-6 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  14. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

NICE! but no delay??? impossible! :eek::D

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Until VERY recently, my pedal board consisted of no board and just a ColorSound Mk IV ToneBender.

I've just added a Cry Baby and 4 other pedals (Drive, Chorus, Flanger, Delay) on a Pedalchain.

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have the Bone board too. Mine has a million holes drilled in it and I use zip ties. I have some mini pedals on it probably 6 altogether....

17. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

This one I can hop on a plane with, and it cops my main board well enough for quick gigs.
    IMG_9357.JPG

hongaku, jddub440 and Staypuft1652 like this.
  18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Upgraded!

1513914895296.jpg

Random1643 and wannabeatle like this.
  19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

It's as good s reverb as $40 can buy. It was fine daisy chained, and decent with dirt. I replaced it with a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb, which is definitely more amplike to my ears.

20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]Valeton Dapper Mini

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Staypuft1652 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.