1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Minimalist Effects Solution

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markesquire, May 3, 2020.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Nice, the Fat Shuga is a really underrated pedal. Worked great with my Pro Junior I used to have.

For some reason, if I’m going with a BCB, I just want to have an all-Boss board. Just looks right.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I tend to agree. I probably use 5 or 6 pedals a lot, and that’s one reason why I went for individual pedals.

But the other reason is ease of programming. You can’t setup an ME-80 or similar for instance with multiple different modulations or drive sounds unless you have it in memory mode, then you have to make adjustments to the patch and edit and save them versus just tweaking on the fly. Those extra steps in a rehearsal/live setting just don’t work for me.

And that’s just for an ME series which I far prefer due to lack of menus to move through. Doing that for a Helix or GT would drive me insane. So a handful of pedals it is.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Shoot. Too bad they didn’t put it on Reverb instead.

4. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Maybe just use the ME80 and go play music! I know, that's not the fun choice.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

Im not a good one to ask because I just built this monstrosity (which I LOVE BTW)

[​IMG]

Personally I cant do the all in one box thing. I have tried everything and always end up back at pedals. They are just the most versatile to change things quickly on the fly. If a room is sonically different then it's just a twist of a dial away. For some reason I feel claustrophobic kind of with a multi effect...

I did consider looking at the FlyRig tho. To me that seems a nice compromise and I do like the portability of it.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

How do you like that Boss synth pedal?
    I've got the SY-300

7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Here is my board: the basic HoleyBoard, cost $109 plus shipping. Can be expanded for Vol/ Wah pedal or expanded up to double in size. Friendly to wire ties or velcro. I have used both on this board.
    HoleyBoard.jpg

Look'em up: https://holeyboardpedalboards.com/

igor5 likes this.
  8. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

Gotta say I'm ...ok with it... just OK really. It does some cool things for sure, but I really wanted something that sounds real. Like real strings, organs etc.. More like a keyboard or a guitar with a midi pickup. It's not that really. I mean it tracks well, has some cool sounds etc... But for me not really fully on the mark. Id definitely try before you buy.

9. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    hey @markesquire

Imho, pedals can become a quick rabbit hole i mean the change/try merry go orund is a money sinkhole imho,

and you might get changing often, you didn't mention budget, but if you put on sale the pedals and other gear you might have you should actually be able to get the line6 helix LT with some cash added, which I believe has EVERYTHING you need and more.... there is also the HX stomp not sure however if that one would be "enough" for you.

Give a look to those two units you have plenty of options, tweakeability, updates and amps simulation that "might" be something you'd actualy like, some people gig just with that unit and are quite happy.

In your situation i'd give it a try

Just my 2c

Have fun !

Ian T likes this.
  10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I would love one of these if I played through a clean amp. Mine always has a level of dirt and delay/reverb in front of a dirty amp sounds terrible to my ears. Comp, OD/Boost and Delay are all I use...The "Air" would be a plus, not that I'm a big reverb user.

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I use individual pedals, pretty much the same needs you have, and it all fits on a baby Pedaltrain: tuner--Origin Cali76 compact--timmy--flint--hermida EP-3 echoplexy thing. Ojai power brick running the Timmy & the Cali76 at 18v. One or the other of them is always on, usually the compressor, which gives the front end of the amp a nice stiff kick without sounding dirty. I can even get a flanger kind of sound out of the flint by putting it in harmonic trem mode & turning the speed all the way down. Good-sounding versatile noise-free board -- it's stayed the same since I put it together a year ago.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It's not only the number of pedals but how you use them, and how much pedal tap dancing you want to do vs. coming up with other more elaborate or less elaborate solutions. Have you ever watched Rig Rundown? I am amazed at the complexity of some people's rigs. Often they want to use a whole slew of pedals, but they want them to be in separate loops, and they want to have them all going into some kind of MIDI switcher or other switcher so they can just hit one button and trigger a few pedals to be on or off depending on the section of the song.

The old school way of just five or six pedals can work very easily if typically you only need to turn one pedal off or on at any moment. But if you're the kind of person who wants to turn three pedals on and off at once then you're either doing a fast tap dance or else you are putting those pedals into some kind of loop. I am still old school-- when I want to play lead I am often turning on a delay pedal and an overdrive to get extra drive/compression and some nice echo. So for me I'm often having to turn two pedals on and off. But luckily it's only two and so I'm pretty adept at a quick two tap. The other pedals such as modulation pedals are typically turned on or off one at a time so that's not hard, either.

But I am definitely thinking about something like the Line 6 Pod Go. One huge advantage of it is to not use it in "pedal mode" but instead to program pre-sets. I could have a few rhythm pre-sets that include a modulation of my choice. For example, 1) clean rhythm, 2) clean rhythm with chorus, 3) clean rhythm with tremolo, 4) slightly dirty rhythm, 5) clean rhythm with slap back. And then I could have a few lead presets, such as: 1) searing lead with delay; 2) searing lead with delay and univibe; 3) mellow lead with wah. Within each preset on the Line 6 Pod Go it is also then possible to turn on and off the individual effects in that preset or patch. So in actuality I could probably just have a couple of lead presets, each with several modulation options. Ditto for rhythm.

The ME-80 also has this type of capability, I believe. Basically there are three tradeoffs with some overlap between them:

1) old school, might have to do a bit of a tap dance now and then
    2) traditional pedals with various switching and loop solutions to reduce tap dancing
    3) solutions like Helix or Pod Go that allow creating presets to minimize tap dancing, but more programming required.

As the programming gets easier to do with less menu diving and a more intuitive user interface then it starts to become more attractive, especially as the rate of tap dancing goes up. Right now my tap dancing is pretty minimal so there are a few other reasons I want to try a POD Go-- 1) even if I decide not to use it for live shows it should work great as a direct plug in to my DAW for recording; 2) there is the option of using it as a standalone rig into the PA using its amp and cab simulators, so would be a great backup for a traditional rig; 3) it has a gazillion effects built into it, so it would allow me to have fun messing around with tons of effects without having to lay out big $$ to buy them separately.

Back to those really elaborate rigs you see on Rig Rundown. I think a lot of those guys will migrate to things like Helix, because those fancy switching systems are expensive, difficult to maintain, heavy/bulky, confusing, etc. Especially for the guys who aren't making enough money to afford a full time roadie. As the sound quality in solutions like Helix crosses the inflection point of being almost indistinguishable from boutique pedals, and being very easy to set up and program all by yourself, why not get rid of all that complexity in favor of something that you can just throw in a carry-on bag?

So maybe we've reached the point of "Peak Pedal" and are transitioning into the age of portable, digital modeling solutions. Grab all those boutique pedals before those companies disappear off the face of the Earth.... But fuzz boxes will probably be around a bit longer since the digital guys still can't seem to come up with a really good sounding fuzz patch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.