1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Minimalist Effects Solution

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markesquire, May 3, 2020.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Please recommend a minimalist effects solution for me. I currently have multiple effects but none of them are just right, my patch cables make noise, and I don't have a good power supply (1-spot but it's messy and noisy). I want to know all my options before I move forward.

What I need: I currently play through a Victoria Tweed Champ. I only really use/need/want (1) subtle always-on compressor, (2) overdrive, preferably with a boost for extra gain/volume; (3) tremolo with bias-vary round-wave; (4) reverb, preferably spring but like variety; (5) delay, preferably tape, and would enjoy a looping function, and (6) tuner.

What I have: I have a Boss ME-80 which is lots of fun and I really like the convenience of a clean all-in-one unit with no power supply or connecting cables, but its a lot more "quantity-over-quality" with a lot of things I don't use or need. The overdrives are not great, the tremolo is not great (very on-off with no control) and the reverb is not great (sounds ok but few options and little control). I also have a few individual Boss pedals: TU-3 tuner, CS-3 compressor, SD-1 overdrive, TR-2 tremolo, and DD-7 delay. To make this option complete, I would need to buy a reverb pedal, then figure out a way to get these on a smallish pedalboard neatly, with a power supply.

Pros/Cons of a Multi-Effect: I really like the idea of having a single, small, clean box that does everything I need. I think the top options are (1) Boss MS-3, (2) Line 6 M9, etc. I just wonder whether the multi-effects are going to have the sound quality of pedals.

Pros/Cons of Pedals: The problem here is that I don't have reverb, and if I bought it I would need to also buy a pedalboard, better cables, power supply, etc. Alternatively, I could sell everything I currently have and buy some different individual pedals that would do the same thing with a smaller footprint: Strymon Flint, Fulldrive 3, Dunlop Echoplex.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Can I suggest reading the manual of your ME-80 - I think what you're after is in there, but you'll need to tweak/reprogram a couple of the patches.

Personally, I prefer pedals, as I can adjust individuals pretty quickly, and if one dies (or doesn't like the power supply at a venue) I can take it out and be done with it. But the advantage to a box like yours is that you're not 'tapdancing' = you can set the patches to each song and just click through - provided you know the order of the songs. If I'm doing a musical or a show with a absolute set set list, I'll program my Zoom G2.0 which gives me nearly every effect I need. If I need a wah-wah, I'll just hook one in.

I know there'll be other solutions - I have a little pedal by Mooer which does a chorus, vibrato and rotary effect: I'm sure other effects like this exist, but before you spend money, see if you don't need to.

FrontPU and blowtorch like this.
  3. markesquire

Thanks dlew919 - I've read the manual for the Boss ME-80 and even contacted Boss. Apparently, in order to save memory/processing to have a million different effects, they had to cut some of the functionality on the main ones (tremolo doesn't have a "wave" control like the TR-2, reverb doesn't have dwell or tone controls, etc.). I would much rather have higher quality basics than have ring mod.

If I'm mistaken, please let me know. That would solve all of my problems.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Where's all the TC Plethora X5 fanboys when you need them?

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am kinna funny about stuff, effects /processing stuff.
    I have a few pedals that have permanent parking spots in the deepest darkest corners of my
    " that was really a terrible purchase" box.
    The last time I bought a multi-FX unit was the Digitech RP360.
    I still have it and use it for recording into my DAW, Reason 10.2
    If you can find a no questions asked 30 day return to store full refund policy. I would recommend buying one there and if you don't like it, send it back.
    Iam dyslexic and some interfaces and I just don't aline, that said, the Rp360 unit works well with my particular orientation.
    0001 sun.jpg

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Line 6 Pod Go

Or buy individual pedals, patch cords, and power supply. One Spot is not noisy at all for me, but there are plenty of fancy supplies out there.

Or keep your ME80 for everything else and just add a tremolo pedal that gives you the sound you want.

7. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not going to contradict the makers. Sorry I can’t be of any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I like the Boss FRV-1 for reverb. I'd also recommend a stand alone boost that you could place in diffent positions in your chain.

9. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

My suggestion (for what it’s worth), ditch the multi fx unit. You are more than half way there with your Boss pedals. Run them like this:
    TU3
    CS3
    Buy Spark mini $50 new
    SD1
    TR2
    DD7
    Buy a reverb pedal.
    Build or buy a board.
    Get a iso power brick.
    Enjoy life.

jh

That’s 7 pedals. You could keep using the One Spot and not spend money on a power brick, but if it’s still noisy you may need to get the iso later. Also, I suggest the Boss RV6 for reverb. The FRV1 is nice but used prices are dumb and it only does spring.

Switchy, middy and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. markesquire

Thanks everyone. I’m considering just buying an RV6 and running my pedals, since I’m most of the way there already.

But, this would require a pretty big pedalboard!!! Which would you recommend? I really love the look of the pedal train nanos out there, but in order to fit all the effects I need on a small board, I’d need to switch from Boss pedals to a couple multi-pedals (Strymon Flint, Fulldrive 2, etc).

11. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PEDPTM24SC

One of my boards currently comfortably holds 4 Boss pedals side by side. That’s a 14.5 inch wide board. The Dingbat Tiny. You want to add three more pedals, two of which are Boss and one mini if you go with my above suggestion. So you would need about 9 more inches of board if you go side by side. The Pedaltrain Metro 24 I see would be just long enough with the pedal layout I suggested.

jh

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  12. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I was running the Spark on here before the SD1 with the Spark and the TU3 sideways. My OCD would not allow me to keep it that way, but the Spark into the SD1 is really nice. 142D6D63-D70F-48A7-86CE-ED18C2D26FC6.jpeg

jh

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Well, your requirements seem awfully close to mine. My pedalboard has not changed for over a couple years now with no plans to change at all. The VFE White Horse is a great always on compressor plus it has a "grit" function to add a sweet touch of something between OD and Dirt. the VFE Old School is a Fender Bias trem and the SubDecay Super Spring Theory has a great spring reverb, but ironically I am moving over to the awesome "room" reverb. I run exclusively through Fender and Fender like circuit amps, but as you can see, I have added Fender-like emulation pedals for my additional flavors. IMG_2987.JPG

15. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Wampler terraform on route. It appears to be extremely versatile and compact. Can’t wait to give it a try.

16. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Compact and tidy, I just never liked having my pedals in two rows. Not knocking your set up, just what I prefer.

jh

17. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

DCE30288-292A-403F-A4B7-49D21F0BDFD6.jpeg This is my other current board. It’s the Gator small board. It has an MXR iso brick tucked underneath. I power the Boss board with a One Spot. There is no noticeable noise and I use that board jamming with some friends in a garage anyway. The Gator board is only half an inch wider. It doesn’t leave the house and will be changed up some when I get my third board set up.

jh

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Well, I kind of agree with you. If I had a single great amp, I could perhaps shed the three emulation pedals, but I love EQ and a Wah, so that could make quite a single row chain. The main thing with my board is that the back row selection is always made before a song, whereas, the front row often gets switched on or off during a song. That was my strategy.

mugen74 likes this.
  19. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Yes, if my back row was going to be kind of set and forget, I could do that. I just fear stepping on the controls of the pedals below.

jh

Obsessed likes this.
  20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

You could save some space by using a clip-on tuner.

darkwaters and naveed211 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.