minimal neck pickup cover

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by yegbert, Jul 30, 2021.

1. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I have just tried out a Tele neck pickup without any cover and I like the sound, but I want to add a minimal cover for permanent use, for protectIon and looks.

I looked for but can’t anyone selling a plastic cover to a Tele neck. Does anyone make and sell them? I just need the cover, not a pickup with one.

Philadelphia Luthiers (no affiliation, but a happy customer!) makes an unplated open-top nickel silver cover, I might use that.

If a plastic cover is an available option, what would be the advantages of one of those vs. an open top nickel silver cover?

This is the unplated open-top nickel silver one. It’s $11.49 in their store and $8.99 from them on eBay.
    943017C6-B731-44EF-964D-41AA566018A8.jpeg

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

The metal cover can be connected to ground to be a shield. A different arrangement would be needed to have a shield with a plastic cover.

3. yegbert

I assume that the cover, when it's a metallic one, is the shield; and that having only a plastic cover would mean that the coil is totally unshielded from any electrical or similar interference.

And so I'm therefore assuming that a plastic cover would sound essentially like my pickup does now without any cover, just changing the aesthetics and providing protection from damage by being bumped or mashed.

What I'm wondering is, how much affect should I expect in terms of tone and dynamics, by using the nickel silver open-top cover, instead of the plastic?

4. yegbert

I’ve ordered and now installed that open top cover. I like it. Here’s the results:
    239251BC-B967-493E-A31A-1ABBBC74FBE8.jpeg BF7ADC09-EFB9-4747-AFAA-C2886DD39353.jpeg

19sixty3, willholt92 and joealso like this.
  5. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Nice. I might pick one up. I’ve always wanted to try the neck without a cover.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.