Mini Switch for 7 Sound; on/off or on/on?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Leon Grizzard, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I have Strat with a push/pull switch for neck-always-on. I really like the bridge and neck combo, but find the pus/ pull clumsy. I have another with a push button that I don't care for either. Stew-Mac has both on/off and on/on. Which one?

(maybe you could make it work with either, but what am I apt to be seeing in wiring diagrams online?)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Either. Just don't wire anything to the other "on" position.

WalthamMoosical and Peegoo like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you can give up one of your #2 or #4 Quack switch positions, you can get rid of the push/pull and still get neck+bridge in parallel option.

Swap either the neck/middle or middle/bridge pickups in their pickguard holes (for the no solder option) or where they attach to the switch lugs. This gives you a Tele-style 3-way switch at one end (neck/'neck+bridge'/bridge) with the two extra middle pickup options at the other for still 5 different sounds.

JL_LI and warrent like this.
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If you are looking at either this
    https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/mini-toggle-switches-spdt.html
    or this
    https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/mini-toggle-switches.html

You want the on/on. The other switches on/off/on or on/on/on have 3 positions not 2.

5. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

FWIW I like to wire it like a G&L expander switch, this needs a mini switch and two wires going one each to the respective term.inaks of the five way.

I like it better because it's simpler to wire and because it doesn't matter if I am on bridge or neck, the switch gives me both regardless, or all three in either notch position (middle alone remains unchanged).

My .02

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I use a mini toggle along with master volume/tone. I've never found having the separate tone controls that useful for me anyway.

20201015_112035.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.