1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mini Switch for 7 Sound; on/off or on/on?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Leon Grizzard, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I have Strat with a push/pull switch for neck-always-on. I really like the bridge and neck combo, but find the pus/ pull clumsy. I have another with a push button that I don't care for either. Stew-Mac has both on/off and on/on. Which one?

(maybe you could make it work with either, but what am I apt to be seeing in wiring diagrams online?)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Either. Just don't wire anything to the other "on" position.

WalthamMoosical and Peegoo like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you can give up one of your #2 or #4 Quack switch positions, you can get rid of the push/pull and still get neck+bridge in parallel option.

Swap either the neck/middle or middle/bridge pickups in their pickguard holes (for the no solder option) or where they attach to the switch lugs. This gives you a Tele-style 3-way switch at one end (neck/'neck+bridge'/bridge) with the two extra middle pickup options at the other for still 5 different sounds.

JL_LI and warrent like this.
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If you are looking at either this
    https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/mini-toggle-switches-spdt.html
    or this
    https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/mini-toggle-switches.html

You want the on/on. The other switches on/off/on or on/on/on have 3 positions not 2.

5. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

FWIW I like to wire it like a G&L expander switch, this needs a mini switch and two wires going one each to the respective term.inaks of the five way.

I like it better because it's simpler to wire and because it doesn't matter if I am on bridge or neck, the switch gives me both regardless, or all three in either notch position (middle alone remains unchanged).

My .02

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I use a mini toggle along with master volume/tone. I've never found having the separate tone controls that useful for me anyway.

20201015_112035.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.