Mini Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by superjam144, May 27, 2020.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Are mini pedals the future? Can you build an entire pedal board of mini pedals?

Will it sound good?

Are there any cons to running all mini pedals?

263b1d14350b847b2298c23efd5bb2a4.jpg

Brett Valentine and Treehouse like this.
  2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

I have a mini Tumnus and mini TC Spark. Both are awesome.

superjam144 and Treehouse like this.
  3. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

pros: the Chinese ones used to be cheap pre-epidemic letting you try a new flavor for the same cost of dinner

Cons: they aren’t that mini/space-saving as they take up more space on your pedalboard than a top-jack equipped 1590b!

Oh.... but they DO sound good!

KW1977 and superjam144 like this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

No, yes, probably, reliability may be an issue; smaller dials are more fiddly; if you put them close to each other, the foot switches may be too close.

(I think the future is integrated all-in-one modeller + FX amps, at least I'm hoping that's in my future ;))

KW1977 and superjam144 like this.
  5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I was told that the TC Electronic Plethora X5 Multi-Effects Pedal was the future. But it hasn't happened yet.

superjam144 likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only real con to running all minis is that they would have to be spaced apart far enough to allow room for your foot to hit only one switch at a time, at which point they take up just as much space as traditional pedals.

However, if you're running a switching system, their compactness becomes a huge benefit.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

^ This. And there is no mini for a design needing two switches or more knobs, unless everything is tiny micro. What's the point? Remember when small cell phones used to be a thing? Look at the size of them now. I see mini pedals as a compromise, but if it's all you need follow your muse.

KW1977 and Treehouse like this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just went and looked and I've got 3 on my pedalboard - tuner, delay, and clean boost. I like them a lot. I'll be getting more in the future.

Treehouse likes this.
  9. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

I'm 3/5 on my current setup. but if i had all 1590b, i could fit 6 to 7 in the same space.

10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I've got all minis..tuner>comp>boost>delay...sounds great. Best tone I've ever had.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I put one together that I like but I don’t use it much. The knobs are kinda small.

A94AB75F-CFE0-4FA1-A858-9CD6BDA23B78.jpeg

KW1977 likes this.
  12. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I think my issues with them have already been addressed above. 1) Without top mount jacks you're saving no more space than Phase 90-sized boxes with top mounts. 2) Even if you could cram them closer, unless you're wearing winklepickers the actual stomping becomes a little tricky. Personally I'm a little ham-footed so even something like a Chase Bliss pedal(two switches on a small box) screws me up.

That said, once I saw J Mascis's mini-board for fly-in gigs: 063ca1c07ae44de10f3421baf45311e3.jpg
    ...kinda caught the bug. One thing that interests me is the size & weight, considering when I show up to gigs people think my pedalboard in it's case is actually a keyboard.

6String69 likes this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a few minis and they work perfectly. Life with minis has been well addressed above. If I were to do my pedal board over and with more thought, I'd at least try to stick to pedals with the same jack locations believing it would make positioning and wiring up easier. Keep smiling.

14. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

While I have a few mini pedals, I wouldn't want a board full of them because they don't always have the same controls as the full size versions. As well, as already mentioned, it would make it difficult to hit the switch on the right pedal because the switches would be too close together.

One mini pedal I've found especially useful is the Dunlop Cry Baby Mini Wah. It's just as useful as the full size version and saves a lot of space.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.