1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mini HB question

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Marc Morfei, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I came into a used Michael Kelly tele a while back, and I really like it. It's this one, if anyone is interested:

https://www.samash.com/electric-and...custom-collection-electric-guitar-mkc55fmbj-p

It has HBs, so it is a good complement to my American standard tele. I know Rockfield PUs do not have the greatest reputation. The bridge HB pickup sounds great to me, I am very satisfied. But it has a mini HB in the neck that is terribly muddy, no matter what I do. I've adjusted the height up and down, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Same on every amp, even when I dime the treble. Basically I can't even use it. But I love everything else about the guitar.

So what are my options? Is it just a crappy pickup, and I should try another type of mini HB? Could it possibly have something to do with the internal wiring? I could really groove on a P90 in the neck - do any P90s come that small? (So far I can't find any.) Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks,

IMG_6977.JPG IMG_6972.JPG

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A mini should be clear, fairly middy and clean lows never muddy. It's probably just a cheap mini. (do you know how it's wired though?) There are some cheap mini's out there that are awfully muddy surprisingly.
    Genuine Gibson Mini's are great (talking about the ones with the polepieces not the Firebird type) and the Seymour Duncan Antiquity ll is almost identical to the Gibson. I was really into minis years ago with a Strat, LP, JM and Tele with them.

3. Marc Morfei

Thanks. I'll have to open it up and look at the wiring. Have not done that yet. The Kelly guitar has this feature where push/pull knobs allow you split both HBs.

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

You should look into a treble bleed circuit, they’re cheap very easy to install on a Tele and can make huge changes in the tone.
    They are especially good it clearing up a muddy tone.
    A Tele is so easy to experiment with, you can use jumpers to change out different frequencies until you find what brings out the tone you’re looking for.
    Good luck

5. Marc Morfei

6. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Mini humbuckers aren't muddy.

I have a Gibson set in my SG 70s Tribute, they are lovely, warm, low output, totally articulate. Great pick ups, sitting right in between a P90 and a PAF pick up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.