1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mini Buckers

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by StoogeSurfer, Apr 30, 2014.

1. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I'll be building an LP with minis in the coming months, and I'm wondering which minis people have tried and liked. Don't want something Firebird-bright probably, but a little fatter than that would be nice ... love the look of the SD vintage mini and it's high on the list, but I've never heard it in real life. Fralin and Lollar would be other candidates, but same thing .. never heard 'em.

2. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

3. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a Lollar mini-HB in the neck position of my partscaster. Obviously, the application is different, but I think it's a fine pickup. It does everything I hoped it would.

4. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Yes you are right. The SM1n is modelled after a Firebird pickup. The other Seymour Duncan models appear to be variations on the old Epiphone mini humbuckers. I have given some thought to swapping to one of those in my Hotrod 52 for a warmer neck pickup sound.

5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Gibson minis in my Epiphone Elitist Riviera. Excellent. If I was to experiment, I'd go with Ian Anderson first. His humbuckers are the best modern HBs I've heard. He winds minis too, so I'd really like to hear them.
    MD

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dimarzio makes some mini humbuckers, Kent Armstrong ( I think they are import models though) , I had a GFS mini humbucker in the neck position of a Tele and I thought it sounded good, don't know if it was alnico or ceramic, it had screw polepieces.

You can usually find some good used Gibson mini humbuckers pretty reasonably priced, and they sound good to my ears.

7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.