Mind Your Own Biscuits

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
All Musgraves aside, one of my very favorite breakfast foods is the humble biscuit. The point here is for those with excellent biscuit experience to share the good stuff.

I’m pretty sure (beautifully confident?) this has been done before, several times, but I made a batch this morning, so what the hey. Plus, perhaps the younger mooks here haven’t considered this trail and our colleagues elsewhere in the world could present their equivalents and we might could even learn something.

Behold, the mighty, mighty biscuit!
View attachment 943758

Flour, baking powder, salt, butter, milk. I know there are better versions, this is the way I muster.

But since today is something of a chore day, I didn’t stop there. I have a big bad jones for the sausage biscuit; pork sausage, please, browned just right. Oh yes, I did.

But wait, there’s more! Coffee in the pour-over style, in a mug featuring photos of my 2 grandsons, given to me by my ever so thoughtful daughter-in-law.

While I was eating, our Australian cattle dog watched earnestly, pointing with her eyes at the sausage she would appreciate endlessly (or at least the nano-second it would take to devour any morsel received). Thin icicles of drool were hanging from both sides of her mouth.

This was good. Yes, I understand the health risks of sausage and butter, blah, blah, blah. I’m an almost 70-yr-old man and if I don’t die from a pole-axed heart enrobed with hardened arteries, what kind of happiness did I have in life?

View attachment 943761

Cheers, mates! How about your biscuits?
biscuits and sausages..a strong but smooth cup of coffee..sounds like a pleasant breakfast to me:)

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Gotta have that White Lily flour if’n you making southern biscuits.
I keep it simple and make what my grandmother would call drop biscuits - no rolling and cutting and all that fuss. Just make the dough (gently, don’t work it) and spoon onto greased pan.

I taught my son how-to but he makes giant things that are sandwich sized.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thanks, for the reminder. I remember seeing something like this cross one of myn instagram feeds, and thought "omg, this is right up my alley. Need to remember to make this soon. I love Bucatini. It's replaced spaghetti for me, mostly.

Last fall my wife and I went to NYC for our wedding anniversary and had a week of really fine food and wine. We had balanced, fantastic Cacio e Pepe with bucatini at Felice 15 Gold Street. We had a ten-minute conversation with the waiter as he explained how you fine-tune the dish with different kinds of pepper that are sometimes pan roasted before they to into the dish. It's a simple, simple dish, but there's a steep learning curve for making it the traditional way.

Everybody save their nickels and dimes and go there when in NYC: (Prepare your tastebuds... is the link).

Last edited:

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Last fall my wife and me went to NYC for our wedding anniversary and had a week of really fine food and wine. We had balanced, fantastic Cacio e Pepe with bucatini at Felice 15 Gold Street. We had a ten-minute conversation with the waiter as he explained how you fine-tune the dish with different kinds of pepper that are sometimes pan roasted before they to into the dish. It's a simple, simple dish, but there's a steep learning curve for making it the traditional way.

Everybody save their nickels and dimes and go there when in NYC: (Prepare your tastebuds... is the link).
Nice. Yeah, there's a lot of subtlety in the most seemingly simple of dishes. Now you've created a challenge for me. Must research this Cacio e Pepe....

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
we had biscuit and gravy for breakfast yesterday. There are leftovers, I'm having them for supper tonight with some fresh gravy.

I love biscuit. (my grandma always used the word in the singular, I don't know why, but I dug it, so I do it too.)

those are some beauties OP.
Elaborate on gravy please.
Like white gravy with the sausage in it?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
You're gonna need some redeye gravy on that. It has to contain coffee to be the real deal. And yes--instant coffee granules are allowed. Just make sure they're not caffeine free; that is a huge breach of protocol!

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My favorite brewery had a "cafe" open up in it. A Biscuit place.

"The “Voodoo Chick” is our top seller—crispy fried chicken topped with red pepper jelly and pickle on a buttermilk biscuit. "

1643056303706.png

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I grew up without biscuits and gravy because it reminded my dad of being poor. But I got a lesson from a friend and now I'm an able biscuiteer. Since I live out west now, I like my biscuits best with green chili, but sausage gravy is awfully good, too.
We had plenty of biscuits and gravy, and we weren't poor, just moderate-income. My dad also love creamed chipped beef over toast, and I still do. I remember it being sold in jars, but a few years back I found that Stouffer's sell something very similar that tastes pretty good.

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
White Lily Flour - check
Sub Buttermilk for Milk
Cook in a cast iron skillet for the win.

Gravy is great - however I prefer to make small sandwiches with breakfast pork, and a fried egg.

These folks have a restaurant ~1mi from my house and its ridiculous: https://pinestatebiscuits.com/

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
We call them "skibbits" and the Man From Florida is right, use the right flour or don't bother.

As for Musgrave, find something older she did. The new album, well, her voice is processed to death. No fun at all. IMO.

Thanks, Boris. My biscuits are fine just the way they are, even without whatever flour you might prescribe; not sure White Lily flour is readily available in this part of the world, anyway.

And as for Ms. Musgrave - I've listened to a lot of her earlier stuff and all around she's a good writer - one of my favorites of hers is "Burn One with John Prine".

If by the "new album" you mean "Star Crossed", I haven't heard it yet. I liked Golden Hour quite a bit.

edit/update: Apparently the White Lily Flour Company got bought out and moved the mill out of Knoxville. Sheesh. Are there any traditions out there that can't be ruined by money?
Apparently this happened in 2008! Have y'all been fooled for 13 years?
Some folks claim to be able to taste the difference between the old mill's flour and the new mill. Read about it here:

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
I grew up without biscuits and gravy because it reminded my dad of being poor. But I got a lesson from a friend and now I'm an able biscuiteer. Since I live out west now, I like my biscuits best with green chili, but sausage gravy is awfully good, too.

Thanks for the reminder - I love a good green chili gravy - just add a can of hatch or other green chilis to your basic white gravy. If you've got home grown, home roasted, well, that's something fine!

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I like a sweet biscuit with butter, honey or jam. The wife will do a biscuit with gravy on the side. Then she’ll take the other biscuit and butter and bacon for a lunch time treat.
The wife is the chef but I need to learn about biscuits. She’s got a couple of books I need to check out.