Minarik Guitars - Anyone else have one?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bfgz, May 14, 2009.

1. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I was curious if any other Tele owners here might have ever owned or played a Minarik?:?:

They are pretty cool guitars with some really unique models. Not for everyone, but i have a Lotus Studio in Antique Cream finish and its is probably the most plain Jane of the colors and designs in the Minarik line. The guitar is the 117th one ever made in this design according to the serial number.

It plays and sounds fantastic with that Les Paul Vibe and feel only it has a much deeper bottom end and no archtop. The body contours and unique heel on the set neck make it fit the body well and a joy to play.:D

Attached Files:

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have one but I've played a bunch. They are good quality but I just don't like the shapes. At least Marc is trying to be different and innovative with the body styles. (I used to do a lot of custom work for them).

3. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

Yes I agree, overall they are designed and targeted at the "Metal" market for sure but they are very well made and play great. That's why I was glad to find this slightly more toned down model and finish. A little more me.:neutral:

I wish them luck as a company in the future and its always nice to see innovation and care go into instruments.

Thanks for your input:D

4. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I have three. Lotus in Antique Cream, Lotus in carved Ocean Burst (blue) and Goddess in carved Honey Burst (orange). Extremely impressed with the build quality and features for price. I have a good line on these if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Here's a pic of the antique cream Proud Papa of Twins. All the serial numbers are fairly low. The Goddess has a Jerry Garcia vibe to it and is the prettiest. I tend to go to the Antique Cream the most and keep it out. The other two are just too pretty so they stay in their case most of the time.

5. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

Its great to know that i am not the only one who likes and appreciates these guitars. I love that Ocean Burst finish, it's one of the nicest i have seen on any guitar.

I usually keep mine out of the case and ready to play along with my Tele.:)

6. ACK75

ACK75 Tele-Meister

Don't have one but I hope to change that some day soon.

7. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

My Antique Lotus is a #40 if I'm not mistaken. Great LP copies, made in the same plant as the Gibby imports. Bound body, bound neck, gold hardware, Minarik's own humbuckers (Bill has a large electronics company and is super cool to boot), awesome abalone inlays...best bang for the buck. Guitar World gave them a great review too:

8. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I thought I'd mention for anyone on the verge of buying a Minarik that gearhounds.com seems to have a special relationship with Minarik. Their list price of $449 is low enough, but they have a coupon code you'll see on their main page which, if used, will get the price down to $404 for a Lotus Studio Extreme. and the shipping is FREE, at least in the contiguous states.

As you guys know, these guitars are jewels. I'll shoot you guys some pics of mine when it arrives. I'll probably order in about a week or two.

BTW, you are NOT limited to the rather small selection of colors you'll see on the Gearhounds site. You can get any color Minarik makes. If they have a special relationship with Minarik, it's because they are right down road from each other.

I'm on the verge of buying a Lotus Studio Extreme in the orangeburst and I'm paying Minarik $75 to coil-tap it. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Here's an Inferno I did for Marc in a full metal front with engraving. You might have seen it at some of the guitar shows. On the rear control cover I christened this one 'Tinferno'. I'm not sure that was appreciated.

[​IMG]

He also set me one of the first Lotus guitars before they had been unveiled or anything for brass engravings (swore me to secrecy). He wanted a LP style feel to everything. I got to play with it a lot and I really felt that it did compare favorably to a Les Paul.
    I'll put up pictures of it if I can find them. It was a beautiful sunburst and the brass worked great with it. I guess the cat is out of the bag by now anyway.

10. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Most of their guitars are a little too extreme for me. The Lotus Studio Extreme (which is the lower-priced version of the Lotus) has an LP look with a bit of a flourish. Not that I don't like their higher tier of guitars, which have some of the most fabulous decorative work (layered bindings, incredible paint jobs over very select , intricate abalone inlays, etc.). I simply regard those as works of art. If I had one, I'd hang it on the wall to look at but never play. :lol:

But those are just words. Take a look at these photos.

11. jammer48602

jammer48602 NEW MEMBER!

I have 8 Minariks now hoping to make it 10 soon. I have a Medusa, a special edition Goddess, 2 Lotus, 2 Samhain a Cherib and an Inferno. Some think the inferno and Cherib are the same. The Inferno just has the M on frount of the head as there is the Cherib on it's head stock. See if I can figure out how to load pictures

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  12. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

LOL wow jammer you joined the wrong forum then, you know this is the TDPRI not MDPRI right?? just teasin welcome..

13. scenenotherd

scenenotherd TDPRI Member

Minarik Addict

I have developed a big Minarik addiction over the past year. I started with their Lotus - really nice entry level guitar. And I quickly branched out and now own a Manta, and a Goddess.

There's clearly a lot of "attention grabbers" in their catalogue, and some certainly have that metal look... but I can attest that these are not simply shredder guitars. The mention on their website about their "tone tail" engineering is spot on. These guitars have a bottom end resonance that is thick and warm.

The Lotus has a fantastic sound, resonance and playability that I've not seen in any other guitar of it's price point.

The Goddess is like a supercharged Lotus. Liquid playability, smooth and clean. Beautiful resonance.

But the Manta is simply astounding. It has a resonance like nothing I've ever played, and for a big "eye candy" instrument, it's incredibly playable, clean, smooth and accurate.

I can't recommend them more.

(all the sound geek issues aside, they are really nice looking instruments too!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.