Min-Wax lacquer vs. Deft

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by blackbelt308, Jun 10, 2011.

1. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

I've finished many bodies and necks with Deft lacquer with good results, but more recently have switched over to Min-Wax lacquer. As others here have written, Deft finishes seem to stay softer longer, and the Min-Wax finish is a bit more brittle and prone to [desired!] checking. Min-Wax also seems to sand flat more easily than Deft, and results in a more perfect level finish.

So far I've allowed the Min-Wax finishes to cure for at least four weeks (same schedule as Deft), but my sense is that one could start sanding and polishing after perhaps two weeks.

Thoughts on any or all of these observations?

Thanks!
    Rick

2. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I use Minwax & I wait 2 weeks max. On my last build, I wetsanded & buffed 5 days after I sprayed with no problems. I'll never go back to Deft.

Bob

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

4. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

I know the question's about lacquer, but I just finished a neck with Minwax gloss spray poly, and holy crap, it looks great, and was super-easy to apply. Self-leveling, drip-resistant and dries hard, quickly...ready to wet-sand within a few days. Darkened up the pale maple slightly too, making for a really nice look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.