1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mim with new neck won't intonate.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Voicing 13, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Good morning,

I'm currently working on a guitar that I'm giving to a friend tonight but it refused to intonate.

It's MIM body with a cheap neck off ebay. I've compared all the measurements to my warmoth tele (tripled checked). Everything matches except that the neck is almost an 1/8 inch higher off the body. The 22 fret doesn't rest on the pickguard, it's higher. Could that be the issue?

Right now unless I put in some longer screws a lot of the string won't intonate. The D string seems fine for some reason.

Thanks!

2. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

Normally, no part of the neck or fretboard should ever be contacting the pickgaurd. It can get close, but definitely not resting on it.
    Are you familiar with different scale lengths and precise bridge locations ?
    If not, you may have mismatched scale discrepancies.

3. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Absolutely in terms of the pickguard. I was just trying to create a visual of the distance I was talking about and that it won't be mistaken for something else.

Yup I am familiar with scales lengths and bridge location. That's where I'm stomped. All the parts are where they should be and the distances they all add up except for the one mentioned above.

I've got a tech in town that is willing to guide me after work today. It may be one of those things you need to see.

Frustrating.

Thanks for the reply!

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

So are all the notes too flat and you can't move the saddles forward far enough, or are they all too sharp and you can't move them back far enough?

How high is your action at the 12th fret? And how much relief is there?

5. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

About .08" relief and .0787 at the 12th fret.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.