1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MIM top loader/twang kings

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by racehorse, Aug 20, 2005.

1. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

I picked up a used MIM , real nice neck , cheap.

It is a top loader , I replaced the pups with some twang kings.

it has a strat kind of sound , not bad just kind of strat like.

is this the twang kings or the top loader bridge? This is my first experance with both of these.

It is the old styl 6 way saddles.

thanks

2. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

How did it perform with the stock pickups? I don't know the DiMarzio product, but if the guitar was audibly twangier with the factory pickups they could be the culprit.

The top loading is probably not a major problem, since players from Jim Messina to TDPRIer Jim Campilongo twang out righteously on top-loaders -- however, they have older Teles with ashtray-style bridges, so that could be a factor too. You can find top-loadable ashtray-style bridges with a little effort and it's not all that hard to modify a stock Fender bridge plate for top loading either -- you'll just need a drill press, the right sort of vise, and some rudimentary shop skills to do it.

3. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

It could be the pickups since they have a slightly different tonal 'signature' than most tele pickups.

With a top-load bridge you may find that you need the next size up strings than you usually use (ie, go from .009s to .010s). With a shorter overall string length it will have a looser feel (easier to fret and bend) so a set of .010s will feel much like .009s do on another guitar.

4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I recently purchased an OC Duff "Nancy " bridge pup. Installed it, it sounded just ok. After playing it for a few minutes I realized it sounded like a strat. Not particularly twangy, but smooth like a strat. By accident, I bumped the pickup selector switch, and this wonderful twangy tone cut in, only for a second. I kept wiggling the switch, and I could hear the twangy tone cut in and out. Opened her up, and I had left a piece of solder hanging from the lug on the switch where the rear pickup is soldered. It was touching the body (?) of the switch, so by wiggling the switch, I guess I was breaking that contact. Desoldered, resoldered (doing a better job) and it was fixed. Twang in spades.

Good luck.

5. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

thanks

The stock pups were,typical way underwound weak thin sound.

I will look at the solder job , because I replaced everything . it had thoses small pots, so I put a 4-way switch , new pots and cap

this has been my set in the corner , grab and play guitar so I had not pluged it in much. It has a nice ,nice feeling neck.

it came with 9`s on it so i put 9`s on it, though i usually play 10`s,

thanks

6. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

The Wilkinson vintage bridge comes drilled for string through and top loader.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.