MIM Tele ???

elaperle13

NEW MEMBER!
Long time lurker first time poster. I'm sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know if there was a time where Fender was building MIM telecaster bodies that did not use the router positioning hole that sits under the pickgaurd. I have sweet blond tele body paired with a 2004 MIM tele neck that the seller swears is original. I've never seen that body without the router positioning hole though.
Thanks for the help.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Oof. Tough questions. I don't know.

You may have better luck if you re-post the same question in the "Telecaster Discussion Forum".

Welcome..

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
If the guitar plays well,
sounds great,
and stays in tune?

Don't bother going down that rabbit hole of, "is it real?".

Unless the seller is charging some absurdly-high price, it doesn't really matter in the end.

And if you are planning to buy it online via long-distance shipping methods, and can't play before you buy, just walk away.
Really, just walk away.

Nobody needs that kind of doubt in their life.

;)

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico. Remember bottom line, it is a MIM Tele. Sparky2 is right, play it and enjoy it.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 2000 MIM Tele with the ID divots. 2004 should certainly have them.

How thick is the body? Could be Squire if thin. Could even be an MIA if std thickness. Or a Harley Benton/etc.

Only the very early startup phase of MIM factory could you have a mixed bag of global sourced parts. That was back in the early 1990s.

Pays yous money, rolls dem dice yous do, yes yous do.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
If you want hours of entertaining reading search for 'mystery holes' here. Lots of speculation has been posted about them by any number of whackos, including yours truly. Most bodies manufactured in recent years have either one or three holes, and they just designate which bridge the body was routed for. One hole means a vintage style bridge, three holes means a modern bridge.

Earlier bodies don't have the holes, you seldom (maybe never?) saw an MIM with a vintage bridge, so no designator was needed.

Pictures would help, but I believe your guitar, as described, is authentic.